Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen / Zhongshan University, Guangzhou

syu.edu

I am also from Canada; I applied through the CSC process so it is a little different from the normal application. I don't know much about the normal application.

(Also, sorry, I am having difficulties with my email client lately so email isn't very convenient for me; I will work on trying to fix these in the near future.)

I will also be a language student; my Chinese is not nearly good enough to take mainstream courses, though perhaps I might decide to try once I'm there if I can later. I'm not sure what my level is in terms of HSK, but the descriptions of the old level 4 sound a lot like my level, so perhaps we may even end up in the same class.

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello there..

i would like to get to know some people who study Sun Yat University because i am going there on June 2011.

can somebody help me? how about the procedu to make a formal visit from my university? i'm from Malaysia..

Thanks..

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I am planning to join a one semester (6 month) course starting in September 2011 to learn Mandarin at Sun Yat Sen university. I do speak, read or write any Mandarin at the moment so it kind of overwhelming. I have been to China once before, but it was on a weeks visit.

I have some questions and started a new thread too, but since I am new-comer the posts needs to be checked it seems.

It would be great to get in touch with anyone attending the university in September.

- Manny

Hi Gabriela, David and Takeshi,

I noticed that you are all planning to attend Zhongshan university in September this year. So am I, at least I think so ;)!

I received an email from the administration with the following content -

For the Chinese Language Non-degree course,the payment is as follow

> Expenses for Chinese language learners (one academic year):

> Tuition: RMB17,400, Application fee: RMB400; Learning Materials: According to the book prices.

>

> Overall Insurance & Benefit Plan for International Students

> RMB600/person/year

>

> (For one semester Tuition: RMB8,700 Insurance:RMB300, others the same as abouve.)

>

> The room price for the ISD on the Guangzhou South Campus:

> Air-conditioned Single Room: RMB1,650/month

> Air-conditioned Double Room: RMB1,050/person/month

>

> The Chinese Students Apartments on the East District of the Guangzhou South Campus:

> Air-conditioned Double Room RMB4,800/person/year (The student will have to pay a deposit of RMB300 when he or she checks in).

-------------

I have not applied as yet and I am told the deadline has passed. However they stated if I can procure a 6 month visa on my own they would have no issues and I can attend in September. I am considering applying for a business visa from the embassy on my own.

I think South campus is where all the foreigners are lodged. I am thinking of getting a single room. Is that where you all will be staying?

I have more questions, but I'l keep the rest for later ;)

- Manny

• Like 1

I'm starting at Sun Yat-Sen University in September too. Will start the Chinese as a foreign language Bachelor degree. They agreed to let me start from the second year, but after that I got a new HSK score and try to convince them to let me start from year three. (Bachelor degree is normally four years.)

Hi Xuefang,

I received an email from university that it is too late to join for the september course. They don't have sufficient time to get me the documents so I may apply for the student visa..

I am not sure if I will be able to go for the February course and was most keen to start now. Is Guangdong university of foreign studies good? I believe it is close to Sun Yat Sen and it is ranked quite high.

I could try to join for a course there.

Thanks,

Manny

Hi Manny,

Sorry to hear that you can't start at Sun Yat-Sen this September. I have hear that Guangdong University of Foreign Studies is good, but don't really know anything else about it. All I can say that avoid Guangzhou University. Spent a year there and have a lot to complain about.

Hope you can find a course to join!

Hi Xuefang,

Thank you for the advice regarding Guangzhou University. Yes I was really keen to join Sun Yat Sen this September :(

I will try finding out more about Guandong University of foreign studies. According to this ranking it is ranked high for Chinese learning-

http://top.at0086.com/university/2011/Discipline/Chinese-Language-and-Literature-Programs.html

I don't get it why you can't enroll the SYSU mandarin course this Sept?! You enter China with a tourist visa, enroll at the university, then simply convert your visa to a residence permit, I know many people who did this... No need for those JW 202 or whatever documents...

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm starting 1 year Chinese language course at Sun Yat-Sen University in September. I'll be glad to meet good people who are planning to study at the same time. ;)

Has somebody received JW-201/202 form and the University invitation already? A little worried it will come too late.

Keown, thanks for the info! But Admission Office wrote me that I can't enroll with tourist visa because I need students "X" visa.

// Sorry for my English.

lebedev,

Hope they are going to send those letters to you soon! I got my acceptance letter when I went to the office (I live nearby) but didn't got JW-201/202 from. I still have my old student visa now and will get a tourist visa for August. Then I have to go back to Hong Kong to get a X visa.

The admission office was very strict that you have to come to China with X visa in order to get residence permit.

• Like 1

Regarding visa-

The university told me that if I can arrange any 6 month visa on my own I should just come and register between September 5 - 9.

However can I get a resident permit after that? The university said they will not help me get the permit. I will have to arrange everything on my own..

sark,

I'm not sure how can you get the resident permit. When I applied for it I needed all the correct documents from the university.

Could you just get the short term student visa? That's X visa and for students who stay less than 6 months and for business too. I'm not sure, but I'm in the impression that you only get residence permit if you stay 6 months or longer.

What they mean by not helping at all? Can you get the acceptance letter and the JW-201/202 form so you can apply for the F visa?

Or would it be possible to just use the tourist visa and renew it in China or in Hong Kong?

I'm not an expert on these things and hopefully someone else could answer these questions.

Hi everyone.

I don't know how it would be possible to get a student visa on your own. (But don't listen to me because I don't know about this stuff.)

I actually am already in Guangzhou now (I came early). This has become a problem as my X visa has only 30 days on it. I thought getting the residence permit would be a simple process at the police station, but they wanted all this stuff I didn't have, and the school said they don't have stuff ready to give me and they said I have to wait until September. At the moment the plan is to somehow apply for a visa extension the day before it runs out (and failing that run to HK so I don't illegally overstay; if this happens I don't know how I'd get back in on an X visa though).

I'll let you know how my experience goes.

Either way, looking forward to my year at Jungdaai.

Hi Takeshi!

I have a problem little bit similar to yours. I currently still have my old student visa from last term (residence permit). On Sunday I will go to Hong Kong to get a tourist visa for August, then I will also ask how to get the X visa in Hong Kong.

Basicly to get a X visa from Hong Kong it needs this:

X visa for studying in China

To apply for "X" visa, you shall provide with JW202 form issued by the Ministry of Education of the PRC and the enrollment notice from the receiving school.

Overseas Chinese who wish to study in JINAN University in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, Overseas Chinese University (including JIMEI Overseas Chinese School) in Quanzhou, or one of the three Chinese Language schools in Beijing, Kunming or Nanning could apply for "X" visas with the enrollment notice from the said schools.

Note: Foreign students staying in China longer than one year must also submit health certificate (Pupils are exempt from providing this certificate).

Information is from here: http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng/zgqz/qzlb/

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I forgot to reply, but I did have some happenings.

Basically, at first they were like "we cannot extend an X visa, you're given 30 days so that you can get ready to get the residence permit and not leave it to the last day, here is all the stuff you need to get the residence permit, but if you can't get it tomorrow the only thing you can do is go to HK and come back on a travel visa".

I went the next day with as much info I could get as possible for the residence permit (I couldn't get everything because Beijing still had some stuff), but they said it was still impossible for me to get the residence permit without those forms. They said though that instead, I could get a travel visa here in Guangzhou and I'd be fine.

I have no clue why nobody seemed to know of or offer up this option, but either way, that's what happened in the end.

Hopefully the school can somehow fix my problem of being on an L visa. (Even the school said "go to HK, get an L visa and come back" when they didn't have the forms from Beijing ready.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The registration started yesterday! I went there on the afternoon and just filled out some forms. Then they asked me to come again the next morning, but again I was late. I arrived at 9am, but at that point there was already about hundred students waiting for to pay their tuition fees. Tomorrow I'll be there early to get the queueing number at 8.30am.

If you are planning on registering there this week or later in the future, better to get up early!

Oh yea. The registration *shudder*

It turns out that I wasted hours waiting in the wrong line that was supposed to be for 自费人, and 公费人 were supposedly supposed to skip it.

Either way, I got the registration done now, I just need to go to immigration today and hope they give me my visa.

Also uhh... is it just me or are the dorms kind of dirty?

EDIT: Alright, my residence permit application went through! They didn't make any fuss about the L visa. Hopefully it'll come back and I'll be fine!

Takeshi, good to know that your application went through!

I'm ready with my registration too and just have to go to the immigration office soon. Oh yes, the payment line was the longest one. I was there at 7.15am and was the 44th in the line.

I don't live in the dorm, but sorry to hear if they're dirty.

Admin: This topic is now closed and all discussion should continue in this new Sun Yat-Sen University topic.