Chinese-Forums

Advice on Self Study Text

Garrett

大家好,

This is my first post on Chinese-forums, and I want to say thanks to everyone that contributes here. This has become the place I go to whenever I have a question pertaining to Chinese.

The past few months I have been in night classes that use the Integrated Chinese textbook. The class has come to an end and I have been self studying with the textbook. I have run into an issue, I can no longer consult with my teacher if I get stuck on an exercise. I quite enjoy the setup of Basic Chinese: A Grammer and Workbook, it offers the new material up front and provides the answers to the exercises at the back of the book. 

I'm looking for either a recommendation of a textbook similar to Integrated Chinese that will provide answers to the exercises or are the Integrated Chinese answers available somewhere. I really do appreciate all the help, thanks again!

I have always liked and used Practical Chinese Reader and now there is the New Practical Chinese Reader. it does have a key to questions and a character workbook. it is one of the more widely used text books as far as I know and it has a lot of associated extras.

Elementary Chinese is also of the same type of text books. There is a set of flashcards for this text which is also useful for the first two text books. The books come in sets consisting of textbooks, character workbook and word list and key to questions.

I have not used integrated Chinese so I have know idea if this is any where near the same thing, but i thought it was worth mentioning those ones.

These days there is a vast amount of things to choose from that it can be a bit confusing. If you have a smart phone or tablet then i recommend Pleco. Without a doubt this has been and continues to be the most helpful bit of software I have invested in. If you get the basic package this will be good enough for a beginner as you progress you will understand more of what you need and you can add more later.

Good luck and enjoy :)

• Like 2

I've recently got hold of McGraw Hill's new Practice Makes Perfect Basic Chinese title and that looks very helpful indeed for beginners, improvers and bad-habit-iron-outers.

Anyone else any thoughts on this one yet?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for a good textbook recently...I got Easy Peasy Chinese, but I want something that is more in-depth with a workbook, etc.  It sounds like the NCPR is the way to go.  I'm probably going to order that.  2014 is the year I really focus more into Mandarin!

Hey guys I appreciate all the recommendations. I'm a huge fan of the NPCR book. It's very well rounded and I see why most people select it as their first text. The grammar explanation at times can be a little skimpy, but they provide quite a bit of examples. I'm definitely satisfied with the purchase! It's worth a try for sure.

Answers to the NPCR  workbook are available here:

Workbook 1 Lesson 1 - 9      http://www.nihaointernational.com/blog/?page_id=36

Workbook 1 Lesson 10-14    http://www.nihaointernational.com/blog/?page_id=37

Answers for the workbooks for the complete NCPR series (and other textbooks) are available at the same website.

Great for My class homework! :):nono

• Like 1