Chinese-Forums

Uncomfortable living situation with housemate

Demonic_Duck

Welp, if she's in love with me, she's also in love with the new housemates who just moved in. Sounds like she smashed up half the crockery and glassware in the kitchen arguing with them (because they politely asked her not to make loud phone calls at half past midnight). Nice to see I'm not the only one she's batcrap insane towards. Actually it seems like I got off lightly.

I have no idea what's going on in her personal life to make her like this. She seemed sane, if a little loud and obnoxious, for the first three months I lived here. Anyway, she seriously needs to move the hell out (I'm loath to do so myself having recently paid rent). Preferably to a place of her own. Better still, as far from civilisation as possible.

Disclaimer: this topic's no longer got much to do with Chinese society at all, as we've ruled out cultural differences as being a root cause, and I guess every kind of society throws up the odd nutcase. It's now basically going to consist of me updating you all on the latest crazy things she's done. If you think that's worth it for the entertainment value, please leave it open, but if it's just considered spam now feel free to close it.

Edit: to make it vaguely related to the subject of this forum, I'll post a sample of some of her catchphrases.

"我伏了!我真伏了!" (in the middle of a long incomprehensible rant about how difficult her life is).

"真是欺负人!" (whilst describing how unreasonable I'm being towards her)

"我X你妈了个X!" (to my housemate at a rate of about 10x per minute)

"你敲我的门怎么了?" (to anyone who dares to knock on her door at any point about anything)

It's now basically going to consist of me updating you all on the latest crazy things she's done. If you think that's worth it for the entertainment value, please leave it open, but if it's just considered spam now feel free to close it.

I think it's worth leaving open so that however long from now you can provide an update saying how things eventually resolved, but  I don't think it's worth updating regularly with all the latest things she does.  Would you want someone posting regular updates about your life and problems on a public forum without your knowledge or consent?  Probably not, and I think it's worth affording your flatmate the same respect, regardless of what you think of her.

He's not identified her. Where is her privacy breeched?

It's not about privacy breeches.  It's about treating other people with a basic amount of respect.  The point when a thread goes from "Can someone try to help me understand this situation" to "Haha look at what this crazy person has done now" is the point when you need to consider whether it's really necessary to post such things, especially when the OP has already stated that "this topic's no longer got much to do with Chinese society at all, as we've ruled out cultural differences as being a root cause".

So then it's just random gossip and pointing about someone who potentially has mental health issues, and I don't see that as being particularly productive.

• Like 1

I am sorry that I do not post on this forum so much but I have to agree that this thread has taken an ugly turn. Keep it to yourself, I mean advice was asked and given and helpful it has been, but... now I wonder about the initial angry reaction to the young lady by the OP. I mean if she has issues, was this the right approach?

Imron is of course the voice of reason here. To be honest my intention wasn't to make fun of her, more using this thread as an outlet for my discomfort, but either way I was being more than a little insensitive, as I think it's fair to say at this point there may indeed be a genuine mental health issue involved. However, on the flipside of that, having heard her go from a blind rage one minute to calmly going back to her phone call the next, it seems to me more likely that it's simply all an act, and that she's only "crazy" in the colloquial sense of doing outrageous things. With that said, I guess there's a thin line between putting on an act and the real thing when it comes to this kind of issue, especially when the "act" is so convincing.

Either way, all of the housemates other than her and me have since decided to move out. I also found out that last night she made a large hole in one of the doors. The letting agency has also been informed, not sure what action they're taking. I'll continue to post any developments but I'll try to be more sensitive in the future (even when I'm posting in the early morning after a rude awakening).