Chinese-Forums

Pronunciation of 包儿

muirm

I've found I'm not able to correctly produce the erhua version of 包. At first I wanted it to be the same a 班儿 (which I can pronounce), but it isn't. Then I try to add some of the -o sound before the er, but it doesn't sound right either. I've tried repeating after native speakers in the past, but haven't been able to get it down. I have examined the Wikipedia page on erhua (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhua) but I'm not very good with IPA so I wasn't able to answer my own question. Can someone help me understand how to produce 包儿 correctly?

I also don't have any erhua reference recordings to practice against. Usually my practice consists of repeating it to myself a few times after I hear it somewhere. Does anyone know of erhua example recordings online? 

It's like howling, except even more exaggerated.

1. Pronounce bao normally, but extend the "o" sound for a long time, like a very, very long first tone. (It seems to me that the "o" sound is extending forward.)

2. Now, pronounce banr in the same manner, as an extended first tone. (To me, it feels like the sound is heading straight up my head.)

3. Now try to compromise between the two to produce the baor sound. Pronounce banr, but then slowly move it toward the bao sound, but stop in the middle. It should give you the baor sound. (To me, it feels like this sound moves diagonally out from my face.)

I don't know if that helps, but good luck. I remember that it took a bit of practice for me, and I had to ask teachers to repeat it to me several times and correct me—baor1, mian4tiaor2, shou3taor4, and so on. :P

• 2 months later...

I found even for people who don't understand IPA (me included) that the CHinese language version of the wikipage you linked can be helpful. Comparing the standard sounds we've already learnt in the first column against the er-ified equivalent sound in the second column,  with the help of a quick google search for the relevant IPA vowel sound, and the Chinese in the article, that I could (finally) figure out. Your mileage may vary.