Chinese-Forums

冬至 Winter Soltice tomorrow

abcdefg

Tomorrow, Sunday 22 December, is 冬至 Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year. It's customary to eat 汤圆 in Kunming. I've read that dumplings 饺子 are the food to have in the north.

I've been reminded three times already today by different local Chinese friends, so I thought I'd pass it on. The reminders usually are accompanied by an admonition to 多穿一点衣服。

This is the coldest winter in about ten years for Kunming, and everyone I've talked to is ready for the days to start getting longer and the freezing weather to relent some.

• Like 2

I didn't know about the 羊肉。Interesting. The 汤圆 here often have a red bean 红豆 filling, but sometimes they are just 糯米 through and through. Served in a sweet sauce that has a 白酒 base.

Can you mail them to me?

Lelan, I'm afraid that would not work. US Customs would throw us both in jail.

冬至快乐*!

*(I just made that up, pretty sure no-one says it).

I had dinner last night at the home of some Kunming friends. Heard it said there once or twice in passing, but it was definitely not a big deal. I think it was more important in ancient times.

I recall a scene in in that wonderful movie Red Cliff/Chi Bi/赤壁 in which the troops amassed against CaoCao/曹操 celebrated by eating 汤圆 before going into battle.

Last night the more common toast was "圣诞节快乐!" Amazing how that has caught on here. I'm going out with another bunch of friends on Christmas Eve 平安夜, and we will probably party late into the night.

post-20301-0-28857000-1387760628_thumb.jpg