Chinese-Forums

HSK - Studying in Home Country

Harvey

Hello everyone.

I am considering going to China to study Chinese sometime in the future, maybe in 2 years...

Before that, I would like to try my hand at HSK. I currently live in Japan and am "fluent" in Japanese, but am ultra-beginner in Chinese.

I was wondering what level one would realistically hope to reach in HSK without studying in China?

I hear the exam is offerent twice a year in Japan, so I think at most I will have three tries before I'm ready to go over.

One basic question about the exam, I heard that it is divied into levels 1-12, 12 being the hardest, but also divided into "Beginner" "Intermediate" and "advanced".

When one takes the test, do you have to go in and sign up for a specific level? Like take level 3 one time, and then if you fail, thats it? Or do you go in and take a generic "Beginner" level exam, and then based on your results they rank you level "1, 2, or 3" or something?

If there is a website out there that explains this feel free to point me there.

Thanks for the help all.

-Harvey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harvey,

I studied Chinese in my home country (Australia) in high school and in my second year of uni was given a scholarship to study in Beijing. I learnt more in the year I spent in Beijing (where I am now living, by the way!) than in all my years back home, mainly because I never used it at home (and I have to admit, a bit because I didn't make the effort.)

Why are you thinking of doing HSK? I have registered for the advanced level in May. I don't see much point in doing the exam if you are at very beginner level but yes, you have to register for a level, they are held on different dates. You can find more information here.

Good luck.