Chinese-Forums

Lessons from 15 Years of Listening to Chinese Pop/Rock Music

Nathan Mao

Great discussion here :D  I grew up on punk rock, goth and all sorts of other non-mainstream music. Now C-Pop (and K-Pop and J-Pop and whatnot) puts me to sleep faster than Moby Dick. But there's definitely more to Chinese music than that. In fact, these days, when I'm not listening to Black Sabbath to gear up for their coming gig, there will be some Chinese "underground" music in my player.

I have to agree to the observation that individual singers tend to not have a homogenous oeuvre and often seem to try to cover as many different styles as possible, which makes finding one favourite singer difficult.

But that is a generalisation, there is Dao Lang 刀郎 for example,I'd describe him as "honest rock music", can get a bit boring after 4 songs, but some individual songs are pretty good.

Or 萨顶顶 who's got a pretty unique style, mixture of electronics and folk. Even if she recently seems to have stopped pursuing an international career in favour of being a dancing doll on Chinese TV, which is saddening me :(