Chinese-Forums

Reading 鬼吹灯 - pulpy supernatural fiction

laurenth

I read the first two 盗墓笔记 and honestly 鬼吹燈 is far better. 盗墓笔记 is very inconsistent and usually places don't cohere or the writer might even just "forget" about one character and let you wait for news that will never come about them (the old men in the first tome is a good example). The second tome is even worse than the first in this regard. Also the author seems to like to make it look complicated with a lot of unforseen events happening all the time just to hide the fact that the story is based on absolutely nothing coherent.

I started the second 鬼吹燈 recently and it's a much much more interesting reading if you ask me.

• Like 2

As a matter of fact, my opinion after 4 or 5 short chapters of 盗墓笔记 was much the same as yours, Camile - the story feels a bit disjointed and artificial, and the language is more complicated for my level, in my view. However, I've just read chapters 6-8, which I found more enjoyable. So the jury's still out and I may enjoy vol. 1 of  盗墓笔记 enough to read it entirely. We'll see.

• 3 months later...