Chinese-Forums

Chinese character etymology videos on youtube

Hello everyone,

if anyone would be interested, I am making videos on youtube explaining Chinese character etymology, history, character constituent parts (phonetic, semantic elements, ect.), how these elements changed over time, what their earlier pronunciations were, provide Seal script and Oracle bone script versions of the characters where possible and arrange them in phonetic series according to their leading phonetic elements (i.e. 隹 leading phonetic in the following series: 唯, 雖/虽, 誰/谁, 堆, 推, 維/维, 淮, 匯/汇, 稚) ect.

I also have a section about individual characters that are aimed at beginner/lower intermediate students where I talk about the character stroke order, stroke order types, character usage ect.

The channel currently has about 120 videos and I try to add about two new videos per week.

If you're interested, you can find the Chinese character etymology and phonetic series playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG2KFyEG82PfbpDNoe9g45Gh6zt04WLuk

and the Writing Chinese character playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG2KFyEG82PfFVB_srSCcgxW5n8csvqRZ

Hope you find the channel useful. 

@vlad3111 Pretty interesting so far. May well be recommending this to friends studying Chinese.

I found your intro-video to the Phonetic series particulary relevant. I am currently located in Zhengzhou, Henan, which its city musuem holds artifacts of the Oracle Bone Scripts you mentioned. As you may be aware, Henan is the central location of much of Chinese history.

Perhaps we can exchange notes?

I tried to post a reply in this thread several times but unfortunately the posts never managed to go through. Maybe it's due to some weird connection problems. In either case, I'm happy you find the videos useful.

@Sinofaze I would gladly exchange notes. Do you happen to know where I could find Oracle bone scans and/or their transcripts online?

vlad,

I have a ton of OBI-related stuff (and plenty of other 古文字學 stuff) on my hard drive. If you get in touch with me, I'd be happy to figure out a way to share it with you (are you currently in Taiwan?). If you're looking for a way to get started reading this stuff, I'd recommend 《商周古文字讀本》 by 劉翔 et al. It not easy to get your hands on here in Taiwan, but I think I saw one at 萬卷樓 recently, and I'm sure they'd order you another if possible. A 《金文編》 and a 《甲骨文編》 would go a long way, too, and shouldn't run you too much money.

@vlad3111 I'll have a look but I think its best you go through @OneEye to get online sources. What I can do is get more information for you on the Oracle Bone artifacts at Henan Musuem here in Zhengzhou?

@michaelS I'm able to access Youtube through a home-based ISP with a VPN software. I'm guessing you are using a work, college or placement network, which commonly restricts Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.

Sinofaze, 

that's very kind of you, thank you. I'm afraid it would be too much of a trouble for you though. But if you happen to live right next door to the museum or pass by regularly, it would be great of course:)

If you happen to pass by, If you could ask if they have a searchable digital database that is open to public (with transcripts if possible), or could get it on CD, that would be absolutely amazing. 

I suppose you can't, but do you think it is possible to buy any of the actual Oracle bones at the museum?

p.s.: If I don't reply, there is something wrong with my connection again.