Chinese-Forums

Some Songs and Videos

Nathan Mao

This is great! Just what I have been searching for over the last couple of days without much success. The links you provided are very helpful. Do you think these are suitable for guys to sing karaoke and which one's are easiest for beginners. Also can you suggest some songs, with links, with male singers. So I'm wondering if in China it is less suitable for a guy to karaoke songs originally sung by women.   I also have this song which is so catchy I think I can use it. http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE2NTY4MzQ0.html

Problem is I am also concerned about reaction to "the man texted me..." love song lyric. I have seen the lyrics changed to "the girl".  But this might get lost in my pronunciation. Should I play it safe? Or let it rip!

No one has ever looked askance at me singing songs by girls.  To make the gender-specific stuff work, I either swap 男/女 or swap 你/我.

I will post some more good songs soon. But I want to hear everyone's reactions to these first.

• Like 1

So I'm wondering if in China it is less suitable for a guy to karaoke songs originally sung by women.   

Why not sing girl songs? At worst you'll just get extra points for humour value. Besides, I've seen plenty of guys singing their hearts out to 我的歌声里.

Problem is I am also concerned about reaction to "the man texted me..." love song lyric. I have seen the lyrics changed to "the girl".  But this might get lost in my pronunciation. Should I play it safe? Or let it rip!

"那个人" means "that person", not "that man". "人" can stand for either gender. Though it's sometimes translated as "man", this is misleading, and only really correct in contexts such as "all men are created equal".

For me, as a baritone, I have a hard time reaching the high notes of most male pop singers.

But singing the women's songs an octave down is right in the middle of my range. So it works much better for me to sing the female songs.

But I'll have some male songs posted soon. Maybe later today.