Chinese-Forums

Kickboxing/ Muay Thai in Qingdao

sparkz10

I wish you much luck in that area. I wanted to keep up my kickboxing when arriving here. Very frustrating.

My experience here is that Muay-Thai and other contact-formats of martial arts are hard to find. When looking around, in cities both north and south of China, I found that most martial arts schools are based on forms, such as Wushu, only taekwondo is generally available and, even then, classes are aimed at kids.

However, that is not to say that you may find some like-minded native students and adapt their skills, if any, to set up a club perhaps.

hmm i've been here for over 2 1/2 years and haven't heard anything about kickboxing/muay thai in qingdao, but that's not to say it doesn't exist....

....and after a 百度一下 seems like there's a place you can learn muay thai (泰拳): http://zhidao.baidu.com/link?url=Y8yYERq_Uw-U96561RRDHfqtDdtZFQHaXHfXHqRwm_zMGaYR9Wxvee95g9109Qyt53IIH050-A8_-vG4IpCe6K and http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/10583268.html?qbl=relate_question_0

if you aren't confident with using chinese just yet, i suggest taking a chinese friend with you so you can find out about the membership fees, timetables etc

if you do end up joining, please write about your experience, you might get a few foreigners that will benefit from it : ) 

You can give Sanda (散打) a try!

It's what's hot here; there's tournaments (i.e. it's competitive) so chances are the quality of the training you get is also high.

I have a muay thai background too and the change was refreshing.

The combat distance and speed are significantly greater than in muay thai.

The style I practice uses punches, kicks and throws; also the classes are very technique-oriented - that's, at least, the school I go to. If practiced as a competitive sport, I think it'll be like that. Other versions may in fact include elbows and kness but I never really knew where, or who teaches them. . .

The only think I can't help you with is where in Qingdao, because I'm not in Qingdao. Try searching for 散打 in google maps or asking any Chinese friend to help you look for it (I did that).
. . .but being Sanda I'm sure there must be at least a couple good places where to practice!

Amazing! Thanks all. I started training then competing in Muay Thai in Korea (without knowing the language in the beginning). Glad to know that there are possibilities in China (even if there is a language barrier again). Also, I may check out Sanda if Muay Thai doesn't work out. Seems interesting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be in China later this year. Most likely after September.

After settling down, I'll go on the hunt and post what I find. I'm just really adamant about the sport and wanted to have at least a speck of hope for finding muay thai, kickboxing, or even just boxing before deciding on the city. :) I'll post later~~