Chinese-Forums

春晚 Chinese New Year Show - build-up and live watching

roddy

30 January, 8 pm Beijing time. In China it is broadcast nationally on several of the CCTV channels (such as CCTV 1) plus it's also distributed on several regional channels. It replays the next morning as well.

Not sure about the channel where you are. Imagine you can find it on the Internet it it isn't carried live in St. Louis.

Here's an English language article about it:

http://english.cntv.cn/program/cultureexpress/20140119/103561.shtml

Thanks! I have kylin tv and get a few of the cctv channels with it.  I don't get cctv1 but there's another channel that seems to play cctv1 most of the time.  I don't know if they broadcast the channels live or with some sort of delay but when it gets closer to time I'll keep checking those channels.

I've always heard people talking about the new year show and would like to watch a little of it at least. 

More or less off topic, but I was wondering if those in Hong Kong tend to go watch the Cathay Pacific sponsored Chinese New Year night parade rather than the televised Chuntacular? Is that event live streamed through the internet?

In HK, people tend to go to visit the new year eve market 花市. That is the big thing. It is not that cold in HK and there is no reason for people to stay indoors / at home on new year eve. And my impression is that people don't watch a lot of TV these days. But it is  just my impression, which is very likely to be wrong.

So are we ready for the Chuntacular? To my dismay the show starts 6am Thursday San Antonio time. Meaning the most I can catch of this live show will be 30 minutes before I trudge off to my day job. I trust abcdefg is going to provide real time play by play descriptions here that I can follow on my iPhone. 

The Chinese channel that I get with ATT, which says its cctv 9, but really its cctv news (in English) doesn't look like its going to show the new year show, at least according to the guide from ATT.   I get cctv 4 and 9 from KylinTV but I don't if that's cctv america, or the actual one they show in China.  And I still don't know if they have a 12/14 hour delay.  Another channel shows a lot of CCTV1 but again I don't what they show, what hours, etc.  Hopefully I will be able to watch it somewhere.  Its too bad ATT doesn't carry a channel that shows it because if it did I could dvr it. 

I'm online now on

http://tv.cntv.cn/live/cctv1

and the sidebar says the Chuntacular is coming on in about 20 minutes. 

Edit: Watching the opening five minutes. I really liked the intro. Seems to be quite a few well known Chinese in there and it's subtitled in Chinese.

• Like 1

I trust abcdefg is going to provide real time play by play descriptions here that I can follow on my iPhone.

I'm in Northern Thailand for the holidays, so I'll have to watch it piecemeal and catch as catch can, most likely on my laptop computer, not sprawled in front of the TV with a can of 王老吉 cracking 葵花子 with my front teeth。

The song with the French lady seemed quite out of place.

Things where going quite well until they started singing communist ballads and listed the achievements of Great Zhong Guo in the past year! Fireworks outside of my building make it hard to hear what is going on though...

Just started watching it here with my daughter on CCTV4, with kylin tv, was hoping they would have a delay and we could watch it tonight.  We both liked the kids with the white horse costumes on. 

Does anyone know if they will replay it later?

Unfortunately we are both sick and my computer isn't working either.  But at this rate she won't be going to preschool anyway so she'll be able to help me buy the fish.