Chinese-Forums

People's Education Press

Ruben von Zwack

To Ruben von Zwack:

Yes. It's from the language series People's Education Press Yuwen. Another series which I actually studied most was much worse with regard to the little animals and flowers problem; PEP Yuwen gets interesting and worthwhile very quickly... if you have the slightest tolerance for the occasional beautiful poem, fairy tale or legend.

Edit: It looks like I was saying the same things wrt graded reading two and a half years ago, e.g.:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/34829-vocab-list-for-childrens-material/#comment-259193

For links to the freely viewable texts, readers and writing books see two posts below.

Here is a description of the optional courseware (not free):

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/26617-pep-yuwen-courseware/?hl=yuwen

Although the books could be read for free (at that time?) I wanted to buy them. They were dirt-cheap except for the shipping.If I remember right, the freely viewable texts did not show the illustrations, which I myself found hauntingly beautiful; that's why I had to buy them! :-)

As you can see from those threads, there was very little interest in what I saw as a giant graded-vocabulary library, and free!

Here is a link to a video in my Dropbox public folder. It's one lesson from first grade. There are 62 such first grade videos with a total playing time of 1:13. How anyone - at that level - could resist this, I don't know:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3840623/1s-10.mp4

(Of course, it plays full-screen on my computer. Also, I produced that for an iTouch so it might be compressed some.)

• Like 2

Querido, it gets even better. I followed the links you suggested and opened a text randomly (6th grade "只有一个地球", here). I thought: Too bad this text is presented as an image. So, on a whim, I typed a sentence of that text in a search engine and, bingo, the text seems to be available on a variety of other sites.

This version, e.g., is mostly identical.

So the xiaoxue.hujiang.com site may have other interesting texts in a (in my opinion) more user-friendly format. I don't have the time to check right now, but it might be worth the effort.

Edit: Looks like the text about Marie Curie is also featured: link.

• Like 3

Where would one buy these? I searched Amazon China (in English) but no hits.

If you want the physical books you can get 24 for 180 元。 See: http://www.amazon.cn/%E4%BA%BA%E6%95%99%E7%89%88%E5%B0%8F%E5%AD%A6%E8%AF%AD%E6%96%87-%E6%95%B0%E5%AD%A6%E5%85%A8%E5%A5%97%E8%AF%BE%E6%9C%AC%E6%95%99%E6%9D%90%E6%95%99%E7%A7%91%E4%B9%A6-%E4%B8%8A%E4%B8%8B%E5%86%8C%E5%85%A8%E5%A5%97-24%E6%9C%AC-%E5%8D%A2%E6%B1%9F-%E5%B4%94%E5%B3%A6/dp/B00CV41BKG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391537637&sr=8-3&keywords=%E5%B0%8F%E5%AD%A6%E8%AF%AD%E6%96%87%E8%AF%BE%E6%9C%AC

You may also search on amazon.cn for 小学语文课本 which turns up the above, several of the individual books and other books that look like they're of comparable level. Alternatively, amazon.cn has graded categories you could browse. e.g. search for: 小学 and pick a category on the left.

The problem with amazon.cn is however the excessive fees for postage (110元 per book in my case) if you're outside of China.  As a result I've never bought from them. I never asked, but I suspect that if you contact http://www.studychineseculture.com/ a deal can be made. In the past they offered that if you have a request for a book they will try to get it for you. Or of course through another Chinese contact.

If any of you want to do a collective reading of one of these, please make a topic. It was fun reading Meng Lelan's short story. On my own, I am so indecisive where to start that most of the time I end up doing nothing or something completely different.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this Querido. Very interesting. My son attends 1st grade at a local Chinese school in Shanghai but their books are a bit different. They are put out by the Shanghai Dept of Education and I wonder if these books are more of a national curriculum. I looked through them and there are a lot of similarities but with a few differences in stories. I tried to find a good picture of the book but here is the best one I could find (textbook on the left)

00428065.jpg

• Like 1

For those who'd rather use an electronic format, after poking around a bit, I believe the electronic versions of all textbooks mentioned by Querido can be found here.

For instance, the third grade, first part, (三年级上册)  is here  (note the initials in the url)

Once in the table of contents, look for 课文原文 and you can open an electronic version. Looks like there are mp3 versions too.

As far as I can see, the "coordinated  readers" are provided in an electronic format on the original site mentioned by Querido.

• Like 3

I bought it from studychineseculture.com (but she might have regretted extending this service to me because I bought three or four full sets, and it added up to a lot of weight and bother).

No, I did not regret, providing satisfied service to our customers makes us feel happy, I just a bit worried at that time and was afraid of the books sold out in the market, because these books are not always available all the year, both in the stock from the publisher and from other books suppliers.

I never asked, but I suspect that if you contact http://www.studychineseculture.com/ a deal can be made. In the past they offered that if you have a request for a book they will try to get it for you.

Yes, as mentioned on our site, we could search any book published in mainland China for our customers, if the book isn’t sold out, without any extra fee, i.e. we would sell it according to the book’s original price.

Yes, as mentioned on our site, we could search any book published in mainland China for our customers, if the book isn’t sold out, without any extra fee, i.e. we would sell it according to the book’s original price.

Good to know! It doesn't really belong in this thread, but you remark about 'original price' makes me curious. Has China fixed book prices that resellers have to charge? If not, how could I know what the 'original price' is?

Yes, on back cover of every book, there’s a 定价 (see the picture, 定价:25.00), which was printed by the publishers, I meant that the original price, since I found quite a number of overseas sites sell books higher than the original price.

post-2122-0-64704500-1391839666_thumb.jpg