Chinese-Forums

Another blogger setting out to learn Chinese in 3 months

Baron

I just want to qualify my statement above about 5 years. I'm not saying you need to learn for 5 years, just that for serious learners long term acquisition is more important than the speed at which you learn.

However you slice it, learning Chinese to the point where you can understand and be understood in the majority of situations you encounter in your daily life is going to be measured in years rather than months. It might be 5, it might be 2 but if getting your Chinese to that level is your goal just realise that it will take time. It's best to acknowledge that up front and pace yourself accordingly to avoid burnout.

There's nothing wrong with doing bouts of intense learning - whether in the beginner intermediate or advanced level. If you follow up intense learning with in country experience all the better.

I don't see much point however in doing 3 months intense language learning if you are then just going to let that skill go to waste through lack of use.

When I said 5 years, I meant that I sincerely hope he sticks with the language for longer than just the 3 months intense studying he's going to put himself through.

• Like 2

I read it. Scott just recently graduated from high school by the way. It's not about speed learning or language learning at all, but rather an argument against rote memorization in favor of 'holistic' approaches. I'm all in favor of his approaches, but his 横幅标语 is a bit suspicious. ha ha just kidding Scott. You started a lively thread here!

I agree with imron in the main.

Many of these people are just language collectors who learn for a while, then move on to the next one.  Part of me understands this as I'd love to learn loads of languages and would like to devote 6 months at a time to certain ones, probably coming back to them for another 6 months within a couple of years or as need emerged.  Health issues prevent, but the desire is there.

However, having said that, I think if you're serious about a decent level of competence in any language, you are talking a long-term project.  I'm coming to the end of the 19th year of my engagement with Chinese, of which 5 or 6 have been intensive study years at uni and/or in Taiwan.

I've just had a browse through Scott's book and it seems worth reading to me and to have quite a bit in common with Tony Buzan's work.  As Scott says, he's not producing anything new.  Good for him, I say!  Wish I was only 18/9 and had accomplished so much!

I used to be against rote memorisation, and saw it as 'dumb' learning and then after a few years I tried it and found it to be really useful, especially for breaking through language plateaus. So I think it still has a very useful place in language learning.

I used to be against rote memorisation, and saw it as 'dumb' learning and then after a few years I tried it and found it to be really useful, especially for breaking through language plateaus. So I think it still has a very useful place in language learning. 

Memorization and drills are without a doubt the vice grips of a learning toolkit. While learning only through memorization would be 'dumb' of course (cram school style) it is impossible to learn vocabulary, 汉字, and basic grammatical principles without it. There's no way around it. But it doesn't have to be boring either as long as its balanced with other activities. Memorizing can be a lot like games. 

This can also apply even to true bilinguals- people who grew up speaking two languages, though they never had to formally study either language. Typically, my daughter is a 17 year-old true bilingual (Japanese/English) but her English vocabulary is still at a low junior high school level despite being a high school senior (her Japanese is not the greatest either- though she's bright, bilingualism apparently has a cost). TOEIC is a pretty big challenge for her, just as the vocabulary on the GRE was for me even as a native speaker. So that aspect is relative- my daughter is spot on native with idiomatic language in both languages though.

It does sound like great documentation of acquisition in progress. It was nice to read your clarifying and eloquent post, as you dispel a lot of the nonsense that at least I for one was on about. Best of luck in your adventure. I don't doubt you'll be successful.

I only wish I could go through the draconian regimen that 戴睿 went through! I'd either come out insane or speaking like a native. 

I wish you all the very best, Scott!

I don't pretend that I won't be a tad peeved and envious if you manage to get to that level in such a short time when it took me a couple of years, but then, as you said you'd had a fair amount of time on Chinese before, it's not so bad.  Actually, on mature reflection, I reckon I could have done it too.

Anyway, you go, man!  Have a great time and good hunting!

Please don't do this - if you take discussions out of sight, one person benefits. Have them in public and any number benefit, not to mention doing the community as a whole good.

嗯嗯,对不起。你说对了。Right, point taken.

I only wish I could go through the draconian regimen that 戴睿 went through! I'd either come out insane or speaking like a native.

I can assure you, it was quite the experience haha. Still, I don't regret it. I felt that in my situation, with the sort of learning structure I was placed under, I had to choose either to obsessively love or utterly hate Chinese. Fortunately I chose to love it!

I hope he becomes someone we would emulate; it is not only we who haven't posted since his #46. (I thought to myself that whether or not he did might be a revealing indicator, compared to that other guy we talked about at length who kept coming back here to pump up the conversation.) I also think it's very self-assured of him to resist this opportunity to promote himself here - not due to some distaste for marketing, but hopefully because he is fully immersed right now!

It's a leadership quality; maybe some of the more negative posters are themselves now hard at work!

Edit: I do hope he read #48.

Well, we all found out what was really going on, exchanged some interesting experiences on learning, and that's that I guess. Everyone was pretty endeared to Scott.

I still have some comments and a question to Scott though:

You call your piece a 'book' but it is far too cursory to ever be considered a book. It is more like an introduction to a book. It doesn't even have enough data to be a hypothesis.

I'm not criticizing just for the sake of debate. Seriously, you're not planning on try to sell this essay as an ebook, are you? I'd be pretty upset if I paid money for this. So, as far as I know, you're using your 'Learn Chinese in Three Months' gambit as a way to earn money off of your blog, right? Pardon me, I'm not sure how that works. I never got paid money for learning something. 

But the 'book' just floats around, right?

Maybe that'll 'add oil' to the discussion. : D

you're using your 'Learn Chinese in Three Months' gambit as a way to earn money off of your blog, right?

I got the impression from his comments that the earning money bit came as sideline and that he was doing the language learning bit purely 'cos he wanted to.

maybe some of the more negative posters are themselves now hard at work!

That would be the ideal, wouldn't it?  I wasn't at all negative towards him, and even I've been getting through my 'mental' texts very well, which, considering I'm ill at the mo, (thus being able to post so much!!), isn't half bad.

BTW What I mean by 'mental' texts is that I often work through lower level stuff as a re-cap and bad-habit prevention scheme as well as with a view to helping lower level learners and I just work with the book and, apart from making note of some new words etc here and there, I just do all the drills and exercises in my head.  The 'Schaum Grammar' I write down all the Chinese stuff - trying to alternate between simplified and traditional with each sentence.  The translate to English stuff I just do in my head.

Add oil, everyone! :D

Not sure if it is because we would rather talk about him than to him, maybe more like now he has clearly and reasonably stated what he plans to do, there is not much left to talk about.

i get the feeling people are waiting to find out how he does, as he is going to record and document it all, we will be able to see his progress in the next 3 months.

If in 3 months the results are not up to his expectations this topic may become a hot tamale again.

If he succeeds I suspect there won't be much comment which is a shame and shows peoples nature.

I for one wish him success but have my doubts he will achieve what he hopes, but as Elizabeth_rb says "I don't pretend that I won't be a tad peeved and envious if you manage to get to that level in such a short time when it took me a couple of years"

This may be the crux of the matter, hardworking long term learners feeling a bit green around the gills at what can be achieved in a short space of time.

I am also not sure it is entirely fair to say he will do in 3 months as he freely admits he has had some time (105 hours ) i think. Not a huge amount but still not coming in to it cold.

So now it is a waiting game............we shall see what happens :)

I think, given his circumstances etc, I could have done what he's setting out to do.  I guess I'm mostly peeved that I don't have much chance to prove it myself anymore... :(

I would like to give those Hugo 'in three months' books a serious trial one day with a relatively new language (something like Norwegian) and see how much I could really accomplish.  I'd never be a high-profile blog figure though, so you'd probably never hear.

In the meantime, I'm seeing how much Chinese I can learn, brush up and move forward over the next few years.

It's a leadership quality; maybe some of the more negative posters are themselves now hard at work!

Point well taken. I thought I'd study like a maniac over vacation, but I've been preoccupied with oversleeping instead. Ah well, I'll try harder tomorrow! Seriously. I will. We all need those reminders.

About negative posters- I'm sure I'm one (probably the worst!). And I really don't consider myself a pessimist or anything. I'm certainly not an angry type. But there is a need for the skeptic- that's just good science. And I realize that how 'fast' and 'well' one learns a language like Mandarin depends on a lot of things. But for most of us, it definitely requires heaps of effort sustained for the long haul. That's the empirical data I get anyway. But while I find #46 inspiring as well, it's worth looking at 戴睿's response in #52.

I got the impression from his comments that the earning money bit came as sideline and that he was doing the language learning bit purely 'cos he wanted to.

OK, but not sure what you mean by sideline. Are there other ways to make money off a blog other than advertising or selling something? Sorry- I'm not sure what Scott's blog is all about anyway. Or really what a blog (web log) is either, except that it seems to be a series of articles or editorials related to a topic. I just get that sort of 'wince' feeling when somebody is trying to get to buy something. 

Are there any good blogs on learning Chinese, by the way? I love forums. Forums are a direct outgrowth of the Newsgroups days (you're probably too young for those). They were just plaintext posts related to headings like Consciousness and Philosophy. It seems that in this forum we all have a chance to share how we study and what resources we like and can respond directly to each other. Do others here find any blogs helpful in their study of Chinese?