Chinese-Forums

The 'Share Your Shelves' Thread - post a photo!

Elizabeth_rb

That 最新國語大辭典 looks very nice and colourful, Ruben! But I reckon my shelves are still the brightestly yummiest so far! :D:P

"And the next award, for most warped splintering shelf, goes to..."

:clap :clap :clap (audience clapping)

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine, accumulated over five or six years. I've never opened some of these, and the spoken intermediate ones seem to be just out of my reach, but many are well loved. I don't tend to bend spines so it looks a bit look a bookshop. The magazines are mainly 读者.

.ehOYTv6.jpg

A quick glance at the shelves posted so far shows that there are a lot people with the same text books and dictionaries but some books that jumped out at me as being on my shelves and other peoples were the Modern Mandarin Chinese Grammar and Workbook and for some reason I spotted Dirty Chinese on several shelves :) (thought I was the only one to want/need this little volume) interesting :)

I wonder what our books say about us?

if I had more time i would search these photos for common books and see what the most obscure books are.

Well I have that 'Modern Mandarin Grammar' book, but not the workbook.  I was put off by the bad reviews on Amazon.  Some said that it seemed just quickly slapped together to meet a publishing deadline and I felt I could wait for the next edition!!

AdamD:  I see you have the 'Common Knowledge About Chinese History/Geography/Culture' series.  Any comments to offer on those?  I have two on my Amazon wishlist and I wondered how worth buying they were.  Many thanks for posting and keeping this thread alive. =*

AdamD:  I see you have the 'Common Knowledge About Chinese History/Geography/Culture' series.  Any comments to offer on those?

Sadly I don't. I received them as a gift from Tianjin Normal University a few months ago (hence the ribbon—can't bring myself to take it off!). A classmate who did read them said they're missing the usual parts of history.

This is indeed an excellent thread. It's gratifying to see how many other people own the same books.

I know what you mean Yorin :)

I have never bought a book online so I have never paid attention to reviews. I haven't bought a book I haven't held in my hands and flipped through. I have bought loads of other things online but not books, funny that. You have made me think.

i have ordered text books from the book shop but they were required for a course.

So people do you buy most of your Chinese books in person or online?

And why do chose the way you shop for Chinese books. it may be enlightening for people to broaden their book horizons :)

So people do you buy most of your Chinese books in person or online?

Depends. In general I like to hold a book (or most items for that matter) and have a look inside before buying. However in my vicinity there is a lack of decent bookshops. Finding anything else then books in Dutch or English is plainly a challenge. My modest collection of Chinese books is consequently mostly bought online. Most of them I probably would not have bought if I could have had a decent look before purchasing. The books I bought offline (2nd hand bookshop, chinese bookshop in Amsterdam and in China) are far more satisfying.

Here's what's left of my shelf. I gave away most of my dictionaries because I also had them in Pleco, and also away gave the books I didn't like or didn't think I'd ever use. I included eBooks because I tend to purchase ebooks more as I'm cutting down on my physical collection of books.

post-30432-0-36388500-1394064460_thumb.jpg

post-30432-0-98626200-1394064471_thumb.jpg

post-30432-0-45139300-1394064537_thumb.jpg

post-30432-0-24077100-1394064546_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I notice many people have the Yip and Rimmington books. I have them also, but they're not on my photo as they are back in the UK. However, mine are the old yellow and blue versions.

In fact the Basic Grammar is probably my mostly-used book ever. It's the only book that's been used so much that some of the pages are loose. I haven't used it for several years now though.

I see you have the 'Common Knowledge About Chinese History/Geography/Culture' series.  Any comments to offer on those? I have two on my Amazon wishlist and I wondered how worth buying they were.

@ Elizabeth - I have the culture one. The language is quite simple (in a good way), which is nice to read parallel and learn Chinese vocabulary. But for the contents, to be honest, it's quite a bit of propaganda for Chinese culture. Not that I'd mind per se, but it's just so really, really obvious - almost a bit naive or involuntarily funny at times :wink: