Chinese-Forums

New Practical Chinese Reader Vol. 5-6, Traditional Characters

jachristen

I've gone through the traditional character variants of NPCR 1-4, and I like them.  Looking now at NPCR 5 and 6, though, I cannot find a traditional character variant.  The books say that they have traditional character versions of the text in the back (presumably in the same way that NPCR traditional 1-4 had simplified versions in the back), but what concerns me is that I've heard the grammar explanations in NPCR 5 & 6 are in Chinese, which would imply they are in simplified Chinese, that all the exercises are in simplified Chinese, and so forth.  Could anyone possibly provide me with some more information about this?  I'd like to stick with the series, I'm not ready to switch over to simplified characters yet.  Am I just having bad luck finding the traditional character versions of these books?  

• 1 month later...
  • New Members
Hello everyone. I'm posting here because it seems to (sort of) fit the topic. I'm going to start learning Chinese, and after looking around for a while I think I've decided to use this NPCR series. Thing is, for what I need, I need to learn Traditional characters, and I'm confused in what regards their use here. The OP seems to say he's got volumes which use primarily Traditional characters, with Simplified versions shown at the back or some sort, but I don't seem to be able to find such an edition: no mention is made at the cover, and the only reference I find is when the book says, in the back cover, «Texts in traditional characters are provided.»

Thanks a lot—

Well, isn't that confusing.  The picture on the front say it's traditional (繁體版).  But it doesn't say that IN ENGLISH.  It's a level 1 book, and they expect one to be able to read it in Chinese?  Even worse, if you click on the main picture of the book on Amazon, it brings up the simplified.  But if you click on the small icon on the left, it brings up the traditional.  And in the details is does say "Traditional ed edition"

I think the answer is yes, it's traditional, and the reviews seem to indicate it it.  But it couldn't be any more confusing if they tried.

My suggestion: order it early, and make sure you can return it :-)