Chinese-Forums

Chinese installed font question

Blueie

Hello

I have installed a couple of Chinese fonts, Traditional Taiwan, and Traditional, Hong Kong SAR. I can see them in the language bar near the clock on my PC. 

If I type in Word, for example, with CH Traditional Taiwan selected, my keyboard produces Chinese symbols, or glyphs. But I am looking at an English keyboard. Is it possible to get a list, maybe online, of Chinese characters that I can replicate while typing?

Thanks!

Blueie

It depends on what sort of input method you have installed, but generally speaking, you need to know how to pronounce it (ignoring tones).

For example, that character is pronounced 'yi'.  So you would switch your keyboard to CH - Traditional Taiwan and then type the keys that correspond to that sound.  For a pinyin based input method this would be 'yi', but if you are using a Taiwanese input method there's a chance that it uses Zhuyin Fuhao, and so you'd need to find what characters map to ㄧ, which this page tells me is 'U'.

The input method will then show a list of characters that match the pronunciation and you then choose the one you want.

There are also input methods that are shape based instead of pronunciation based, so you'd need to make sure you didn't have one of them installed instead.

In general, I would recommend exploring the page above (main site here), which explains in detail how to go about typing Chinese characters for a variety of operating systems.