Chinese-Forums

Are current American hits/singers also popular in China?

fantasyvn

Hi everyone,

May I ask this question?

Are current American hits/singers also popular in China or Hong Kong, Taiwan? In other words, are the songs in the Billboard charts also well-known and loved by the young audience in China/Hong Kong, etc?

I asked this question because I remember in the late 1990s and early 2000s, some artists, who were not really famous in the US and UK, were indeed very popular in Asia. These include Air Supply, Michael Learns to Rock, who focused on ballads.

At the moment, it seems to me that in the US/UK, uptempo songs are more popular than ballads, if you look at the charts. So I was wondering if artists like Daft Punk, Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus...are liked here.

Thanks,

You can see charts here http://yue.sina.com.cn/  at the bottom of the page.  There are separate lists for international acts there.

Hard to summarize what's popular, it's a big place with different preferences in different groups.  

All of Asia tends to like classic songs and ballards a bit more than the west, probably because you can sing along with them in KTV.

In my experience Chinese tend to know some ultra-famous musicians, but have no idea about others who are equally famous. Sometimes the reasons seem arbitrary, but I suppose governmental control of the music industry may have played some part.

For example, most young Chinese will know Michael Jackson, but not Prince. Lady Gaga, but not Madonna. Backstreet Boys but not New Kids On The Block. Kenny G but not Elton John. Celine Dion but not Mariah Carey. Rihanna but not ABBA. Etc, etc. This pattern seems to work for TV shows, too - Friends but not Seinfeld, for example.

• Like 1

I'm from china, I 'm sure about this. Current  American singers are very popular in China as other countries around the world. There a lot of music radios introduce the latest songs from the Billboard charts or other popular charts 24 hours of live, some of them even broad by speaking English directly. Singers, such as Bruno mars, Katy Perry,etc, are also as famous as they are in U.S.Night clubs also play same club music as U.S. There is little difference between china and west on pop music today.

Whenever I go to Hungary, I'm always intrigued that the most talked-about American movie star is Sharon Stone. Sharon Stone is still working in minor roles, but hasn't been in the news in the US since the mid 90's. Google Trends shows she is recently more popular in India, Turkey, and Italy, than in the US.

On the other hand, Hungarians were mystified why Zsa Zsa Gabor was so famous in the US. But so were Americans. Sometimes people don't get to choose who's famous--it's dictated by agents and the media.