Chinese-Forums

Listening Skills

Coys1991

I am having a bit of trouble with listening skills in Chinese and also my grammar.  What are the best ways to tackle this approach?  Any shows I should be watching that are more of beginner to intermediate?  Thanks everyone! 

Check out the Grand First Episodes Project, in particular the TV Series Recommendations and Index (both of which are stickied in the Chinese Television sub-forum).

For specific learning recommendations and approaches, consider first searching the forums.  A search for "Listening Skills" brings up a whole host of threads discussing various different learning strategies.  Likewise for grammar.

• Like 2

If you're looking for something shorter and lower level, then weather reports on youku are a good example of something useful.

I find short video ( pref with subtitles) is really good as you can go back to the start lots of times without it taking too long, and it gets you identifying the same specific words each time.

Weather reports are just an example. Youku has loads of stuff. The trick is to keep it bearable for whatever your level is...

The above post is definitely solid advice if you're a beginner.

Now, of course, words like "beginner" and "intermediate" are all open to interpretation. For example, the Chinese courses that I used to take progressed from an "advanced" textbook in one series to an "intermediate" textbook in another. It's arguable as to whether the latter book was actually more or less difficult, but I think it's fair to say neither book deserved to be called "advanced".

By far the easiest native-level content I've found is the Chinese version of Dora the Explora (爱探险的朵拉). In this version, 朵拉 teaches Chinese children English, rather than Spanish. However, the vast majority of the dialogue is still in Chinese. It's pretty mindless viewing for an adult, but I could see it being an ideal very first introduction to native content. The characters speak clearly and slowly, with a standard accent, and very simple vocabulary.

I'd suggest you check that out, in addition to the advice above. If you find it challenging, consider it a benchmark for entry-level native material. If you find it too easy, there's plenty more native-level stuff out there which isn't too much more difficult - mainly other kids' cartoons and such.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found that talking to live people is extremely helpful for listening skills. I first started doing this through italki.com (which I am not affiliated with) by getting a teacher. They also have some features on the site which try to help you facilitate 50-50 language exchange, but depending on where you live this may be difficult (for example I'm in the states, and have a 13 hour time difference with China). Teachers generally cost $10-$15/hr, and I've yet to work with a teacher who wasn't helpful. I've done that now for ~6 months, and since have been able to transfer to speak to regular (non-teacher) native speakers around town. I view online teachers as a gentle introduction to actually communicating in Chinese.

As far as grammar goes, I'd recommend a combination of Yip Po-Ching's "Basic Chinese Grammar" and Chinese grammar wiki (http://resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/). I like the book because it gives you a good big picture of how things work, along with exercises (with solutions). The grammar wiki is nice because it dives into more granular details of specific uses.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience it depends a bit on what aspect of the listening skills are a problem.

Whenever I take up a new language I spend a few weeks listening to the radio. Preferably high class stuff like news or talk shows. At that point, I'm not trying to understand any of it, I'm trying to get used to the intonation and stress patterns of the language. I'll be listening for repeated patterns and generally trying to get to the point where the language doesn't sound like it's going a mile a minute.

After that, I'll generally spend time on a scavenger hunt of sorts listening for words that I recognize and structures. And trying to pick up as much meaning as I can from listening.

It's worth noting, that this is on top of any other studying and use that I'm doing. You definitely want to be following the other advice here in terms of speaking and listening as well for optimal results. And, dictations as unpleasant and difficult as they are, will help a great deal with precision of listening.

• 5 weeks later...

@Roddy They are going ok. I haven't been able to do much practicing yet due to finals and such, but now that I am out of school I'm working a lot harder on my listening skills and trying to hear the correct tones.  I will be going to China in the summer so this will definitely help hearing Mandarin words from the locals.