Chinese-Forums

chopsticks

paul62tiger

I have noticed when i go to a chinese restaurant with chinese friends the waitress always speaks to my friends and without asking, will bring me a knife and fork.

So many times chinese friends complain the english stereotype them and, what do you know, it happen to me as well.

One for the non chinese users - does this happen to you ?

You or your friends should tell the waiter/waitress that you want them, and the big difference about chinese and western restaurants is that chinese waiters won't ask

everybody what you want, how you want to cook them, and with what seasoning.

Thanks Paul. Glad to get another visitor.

When you talk about Chinese restaurants, do you mean in the UK?

I have been eating Chinese food for a long time in Taiwan. I don't think anyone ever offered me a knife and forkin a restaurant here. It just would not occur to them as they are just not used to non-Chinese. Besides they would not be likely to have a set of table knives and fork - just don't use them. When my mum visited she was making awful mess of her white shirt one lunchtime, so I asked for a fork. They din't have one. When we think of Chinese food everyone always think of chopsticks because they are so different to western utensils. We often forget the other major Chinese utensil, prboably because it is not so exotic - the spoon. They are always available. The only places providing knifes and forks are the restaurants with 'foreign' food.

Hi again Jacko,

Yes you got it - always in the Uk.

I am interested to find out what happens when i visit malaysia. I suspect that in the chinese resautants chopsticks will be the norm.

It won't be so strange for me to be the only non chinese in the room as this is oft the case when i go for dim sum here, but will still be interesting to see the reaction to me outside the cities. i expect the in the smaller towns i will visit they don't see too many english.

Still, if the malaysian chinese i have met here are a sample of the people i will meet there, i will be made very welcome.

As a final note, i never forget the spoon - how could i eat the porridge without it.

In the Chinese restaurants in Hawaii' date=' chopsticks is also the norm.

Unless you ask, you are only provided with chopsticks even though you are a Caucasan because all locals know how to use chopsticks.[/quote']

It's pretty much the same in San Francisco. In the more touristy areas, they will often bring both chopsticks and a fork to everybody.

In New York I've had the experience of waiters pointedly bringing me a fork even when I'm dining with my Chinese wife, and feel insulted by it for some reason.

Not only do I ask for chopsticks in Chinese, but I also ask for a bowl of rice. Instant respect. (Not that they didn't respect me in the first place--- but you know what I mean.) Also, after a couple or more visits, I don't even have to ask!

Jacko-- good information on your site. I've bookmarked it.

Jo-Ann, thats just what I do (and have to do!) everytime. Usually acts as an ice-breaker witht he waiters too . James

And one big plus is that after a few visits, the waiters automatically bring the pickled vegetables or peanuts ---- instead of the fried eggroll chips with the orange duck sauce!

James888 and Jo-Ann,

true about the ice breaker - and the respect. Today I was invited to dinner with some malay chinese friends at their house -The house mates that don't know me can't hide their shock when they see me. Happens every time but a quick "ni hao" removes the tension.

• 2 weeks later...
The best quality chopsticks are those made in ivory. It is easy to maneuvre' date=' endurable and never bends.

I really miss them.[/quote']

Yes. I have a couple pair of ivory tipped ones that I bought before the ban. I cherish them.

The best quality chopsticks are those made in ivory. It is easy to maneuvre' date=' endurable and never bends.

I really miss them.[/quote']

LOL. Personally I don't need to *endure* any type of chop sticks, they are all not just endurabe to me, but ofttimes downright convenient (try chatting away on IRC whilst eating doritos w/o filthifying your keyboard).

If you have to have ivory just to be able to endure using such implements, you ought to just consider using altogether different implements altogether!

well here i am in malaysia where i have found, to my delight, it is assumed i am able to use chopsticks. And for you guys from over here - the place is great.

For those who have not been - try it.

As for the best type of chopsticks i have always used plastic or wood - don't like to hurt animals for anything other than food.

Or will this open a new debate ?

No debate, paul62tiger, as trade in ivory is banned internationally because, like you, most people don't want animals hurt for no reason other than so we can make ornamental things from their parts. However, like the others above, if I were presented with an opportunity to acquire a pair that I could be certain pre-dated the ban, I'd go for it as well.