Chinese-Forums

Which dictionary to use as a default C-C or C-E?

ouyangjun

Quick question...  I've started to use my Kindle almost exclusively for reading Chinese novels and I'm looking for some advice from more experienced readers.  In the past I would use my Pleco dictionary to look up words, but my Kindle has 3 Chinese dictionaries built-in for easier reference.  A Chinese to Chinese (C-C), English to Chinese (E-C), and a Chinese to English (C-E).  

In your experience which is best for reading and long term word retention/understanding?  I like the idea of using C-C, because this is how native speakers learned through dictionaries.  I have a feeling it may have a more "accurate" definition at times and give me a better "feel" for the word.  The things I worry about on this is overload of trying to remember too much with a new word.  I also worry about it slowing down my reading productivity.

With the C-E, it is easy and keeps me moving along at a quick pace, but I worry that I often look at the word quickly and don't really associate the Chinese word with the English word long term unless I make an effort to remember the word or run across it many times.

Thoughts?

For me, C-C dictionaries have been more helpful but only once I reached a certain level with my Chinese.

An C-E dictionary was required for any kind of flow when I was looking up a few words of almost every sentence, but I ultimately found it less productive than finding more level-appropriate materials.

YMMV

I switched back and forth between CE and CC for a year or so. As stated above, don't be shy about switching back if it seems counter productive after a few days of earnest effort.

On flashcards, a good way to ease in is just converting some cards you are more familiar with to CC. For Kindle or other reading you may find CE most useful for awhile, and might find CC flashcarding a good transition in. Otherwise CC may bog your flow down too much.