Chinese-Forums

Group Read! 天天中文/中文天天读

Elizabeth_rb

Just adding in to 'Silent's' table:

level 1 = gold series = 500 vocabulary (due out later this year)

level 2 = turquoise series = 1000 vocabulary (published)
level 3 = violet series = 2000 vocabulary (published)
level 4 = rose series = 3500 vocabulary (originally advertised on the Macmillan website, but now no longer appearing)

level 5 = ??? = 5000 vocabulary (no apparent plans to republish in Macmillan)

lechuan, I suggest you contact fltrp and check your order status, then you can consider which is more cost/time effective if they don't actually have an active order for you.  Some places take the payment later on.  Shipping from China is usually fairly steep, at least Amazon China is.  I wanted a 40RMB book from there, but it would have cose me another 115RMB or so for shipping.  I got a Chinese friend to have her mum bring copies with her when she visited (as a 'thanks' for checking her MA dissertation :lol: ).

Just finished 北京的四合院, and in the 'Cultural Insights' section, found this rather odd:

胡同和四合院是一体的,胡同两边是若干四合院。

Would it change the meaning to say 胡同两边若干四合院?

• 2 weeks later...

@li3wei1 #23

胡同和四合院是一体的,胡同两边是若干。

Would it change the meaning to say 胡同两边若干四合院?

IMHO, it would change the meaning. The first sentence, by indicating hutong and siheyuan are integrally related, indicates the siheyuan's existence may be "deliberate" or. at least, "permanent" and the reference is more "definite" than "indefinite" (hence the use of shi). By changing the shi to you, the second sentence is merely/casually saying there are some siyehuan on both sides of the hutong and might occur in a statement like 胡同两边有若干四合院、一些汽车、一些自行车、等等。Therefore the reference is more indefinite, there are multiple items and the existence is more incidental.

[cf. Yip-Rimmington's "A Comprehensive Grammar" pp 248-250]

Different opinions welcomed. 

Thanks, Lechuan. I've been unwell and still can't use my glasses (needed for computer work), so my laptop's stayed switched off for many days (been rather nice, actually!!)

Yes, we could do one story per week and anyone who wants to could discuss any new vocab, structures and other points of interest in the text.  Also, each story has two or three questions in Chinese that those who feel confident enough to attempt could discuss on group in Chinese.

What does everyone say to that?  If enough agree, then I'll draw up a schedule and create a new thread for it, 好不好?Just give me a couple more days to lick this sinus infection and be able to work comfortably again. 8)

Can someone send me a picture of the table of contents (hopefully including the english titles) for the FLTRP version of 中文天天读 3B, "好一朵茉莉花"?

There are variations in the Chinese titles, and a few more stories in the FLTRP version, so I'd like to put together a list that works for both. Thanks!

3B Group Read thread created here. Would appreciate any and all suggestions as to things we could do to make the group read useful and interesting. 1 week per story, I'll continue updating the 1st post in the thread to add to the reading schedule, and any new activity ideas.

Would still appreciate getting a picture of the FLTRP table of contents for this book, if possible.

I am on my phone so can't send a decent photo... However, you can see the contents of the FLTRP book on Amazon China. Just "look inside" the book and the contents in a few pages down.

I'll try paste a link below. If it doesn't work you could just search Amazon CN.

http://www.amazon.cn/好一朵茉莉花3B-池宇/dp/B0027AAWTK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1399388144&sr=8-8&keywords=中文天天读

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to check if everyone who was previously interested is still interested. I extended the reading period by a week for the first story in the original thread. If anyone has any ideas how to make this more interesting, would like to hear form you.

One idea I had was a "leaderboard". Could give bonus activities worth X amount of points (ie. next weeks story has a song, Could award 10 points for posting a recording of themselves singing the song). "Ultimate Reader" reward given at the end for those with the most points.

• 1 month later...

HI everyone!  Sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks (health and family troubles - sorting out care for aged mum, bless her!).

Now then, where is everyone for this read?  We had about 8 interested to start with, but the group read thread is not reflecting that initial enthusiasm.  How's everyone feeling now?

• Like 1