Chinese-Forums

Any thoughts on BeiDa or ErWai?

sammymac

Any thoughts on BeiDa or ErWai?

BeiDa tell me their "long-term" program's application deadline has already gone but seem to be hinting I could go on the short-term one for a year. Any idea if there are therefore other differences between the programs?

I'm attracted by the idea of being in a Chinese university as opposed to one run mainly for

foreigners like BLCU.

Any advice much appreciated.

EDIT: Split from the sticky on studying in Beijing - Roddy

Ooops - cheers Roddy.

I have another query now. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get hold of an application form for BeiShiDa (Beijing Normal University)? Their email appears to be broken (just bouncing back with "quota exceeded" error message). Oh, and the reason I'm emailing them in the first place is that the link to application forms is broken!

Maybe I should just give them a ring. Kind of expensice from Edinburgh though...

Cheers all!

No worries - I think it's best to keep sticky threads for info though, rather than questions - the decent info which comes out of the questions can then be pasted in if necessary.

Is the Beishida application for you are looking for this one Word.doc? It's the 'BNU Application Form for International Students (Non-degree Programs)', found via this page.

Gratuitous Plug:

You might find this useful.

Roddy

Absolutely, makes sense. Realised that just after I posted it!

Thanks loads for getting back to me so quickly with those links, very helpful indeed.

I think BNU may be having issues with their servers at the moment or something, because both of those links just time out for me, as does this one

http://www.bnulxsh.com/newapplication/jinxiuform-chi2.doc

which I found here:

http://www.bnulxsh.com/newapplication/linker-en.htm.

Chinaschoolguide.com looks good - will keep an eye on it for sure...

I don't think there's a problem with the server, but international internet connections to China can be problematic - so using our shiny new 'attachments' function, I'll move it half the journey to the US, and hopefully that'll make it accessible from Edinburgh

I went to Er Wai for a year in 2000/01 (I was given a scholarship so didn't have much choice!). I thought that the uni segregated the foreign students from the Chinese students A LOT more than the Haidian universities (Bei Da, Qing Hua etc). Er Wai is also forever away from any action!! You need to take a bus to the subway and then the subway to the city or where-ever, complete pain the the bum!

I live in Beijing now and the Haidian universities have a much better name, not only for their study programmes, but also for the social activities and encouraging the foreigners to mix with the Chinese (and vice versa).

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I think I may give ErWai a miss in that case. I'm not too sure about BeiDa, waiting to hear what they say about the short-term/ long-term issue. Seems strange that they close the applications so much earlier than others.

Location-wise, I understand QingHua and BeiDa are pretty close together and I like the idea of living in the main "university" are of the city... Presumably it's also a pretty good place to get a cheap apartment?

Any thoughts on BeShiDa (BNU)? Sounds pretty good but may be a little out of the way I think.

Cheers again!

Bei Da and Qing Hua are in the uni district. Whether this is good or not is up to you! I lived there briefly and hated it! Mainly because the apartments are expensive (since everyone KNOWS foreign students have a lot of money! :wall ) and also the place is squirming with other foreigners and foreign shops and cafes. There are a lot of Koreans and Korean shops, and it's also a good opportunity to have language exchange if you want it.

The closest subway is line 13, WuDaoKou, which incidently could also be considered ages away, takes maybe an hour (and changing from line 13, to line 2 then line 1) to get to the CBD. It all depends what you want, you can rent cheaper apartments by going one stop on the subway either way from WuDaoKou.

BNU is near the JiuShuiTan subway (line 2) which personally I think is more convenient, because it only one change to line 1 (where the CBD is) or line 13. I live on this line and it's convenient for me. I only know 2 people who study at BNU, I think one also lives on campus. They love it. One is also studying chinese calligraphy there (as an extra offered to foreigners cheaply, Er Wai offered this when I was there).

BNU and BaiDa/QingHua are not that close, though they are all in HaiDian District - don't be fooled, HaiDian is HUGE!!

Hmmmmm.

Again, thanks for all the thoughts.I guess I'll have to think hard about where I want to live. BeiShiDa does look a bit handier actually, in terms of subways and so on.

Tricky to decide. I may apply to all three and have a wander around when I get there. I'm planning on heading out in August to look for a flat anyway. How much more expensive are we talking for rent though in the BeiDa area? That doesn't sound too good.

Do you know anything about the requirement to have a guarantor on the application forms?I do have some friends in Beijing, but it's kind of a pain to have them fill in a section of my form, given they're in Beijing!

Also, one last question (a stupid one really). When I lived in the wild west of China a couple of years ago any post with an address in English/Pinyin tended not to get there. Since BeiShiDa only put their English adress on the top of the form, should I worry?I guess I could always stick the characters for Beijing ShiFan DaXue on it as well!

PS If you either of your friends are looking for a flatmate, do let me know!

Cheers again, Sam.

I have no idea how much apartments cost near BNU, but in WuDaoKou, your looking at about 2200 to 2700 RMB a month for a small two bedroom. I pay 2200 in Chongwen District for a great two bedroom, fully furnished, two balcony place. Compared to what I had in WudaoKou (which was 2400 but tiny) this is a palace!

Definitely put pinyin and characters on mail if it's important! The details of BNU are as follows:

北京师范大学

中国 .北京市西城区新街口大街19号

#

(sorry don't know the post code but I am sure you have it)

Sorry I can't help you with the guarentor bit....

I pay 1700 for a small, liveable one bedroom place halfway between Jishuitan subway and Beishida. Most of the foreigners nearby seem to wind up in two apartment blocks - 经典花园,which is relatively old, and the so-new-bits-are-still-falling-off (literally, a window fell out into the car park i walk through to get beer) 北京五月. Google those names and you'll find to-rent notices, but be aware both of these places are aiming at the 'young professional' market, and therefore a little more expensive than what you would pay elsewhere.

Roddy

Again, thanks so much to both of you. Sounds like BJ is pricey in general, but I suppose I expected that - I've only lived in Qinghai...

Looks like I'll apply to a few places then come out early to flat-hunt... Might need to learn some relevant vocab first though :-S !

I know people who lived at Jin Dian Roddy....they said that it was terrible and not worth it! (I used to teach at Jin Dian Primary School).

Sam, don't EVER go looking for apartments by yourself if you don't speak Chinese. I'm fluent (pretty much) and still got a Chinese friend to help me. They see a non-Chinese face and they'll rip you off. You can bargain A LOT in some areas and not so much in others. Bargain wise you can't always negotiate the price, but you can ask for additions, I got curtains (um, yeah, that's not supposed to be an addition) and also requested the furniture I wanted (my place is new). I actually have all new furniture now, since my friend moved to Taiwan so I got all hers, so my landlord took his back! I also negotiated whitegoods (washing machine, fridge).

Going through an agent you'll also end up paying the agent a month's rent as a finders fee. After that the agent does literally nothing.

BNU does not require that your guarantor be in China. They just want the name of the person somewhere who is willing to be your financial backer. Parents will suffice as guarantors.

Hmmmmm.

Do you know anything about the requirement to have a guarantor on the application forms?I do have some friends in Beijing' date=' but it's kind of a pain to have them fill in a section of my form, given they're in Beijing!

Cheers again, Sam.[/quote']

You're welcome. BTW I got the information by calling up BNU and asking the person in charge of non-korean/japanese students. The requirement varies depending on the university. I saw some other universities' apps and some state explicitly that you need a guarantor who is in China.