Chinese-Forums

饥饿游戏 The Hunger Games

Geiko

I tried to read this but think it's too hard. Disappointed. It would have been "studying" rather than reading, with the amount of characters i don't know.

I bought a copy of a goosebumps book as they seem like an easier starting point and after Geiko mentioned them.

Good job finishing!

• Like 1

It's always a good idea to start with easier material.  After getting a few easier things under your belt, your vocabulary will have increased and other books will become more accessible.  I went through a similar thing when I first started reading novels and I quickly discovered that it was much more productive to read stuff I could mostly understand than try to struggle through more advanced content.  As my vocab increased from the easier books, the more advanced books became easier too.

As long as you are learning a reasonable amount of new vocab as you go, it's just a matter of time before you can move on to harder content.  See my thoughts on this here.

ChTTay, I also felt very disappointed after finishing volume one with one thousand new words added to my flashcards. The good thing was that the effort paid off in parts two and three, there was much less new vocabulary. However, if you find it too overwhelming, then you should definitely begin with something easier, such as the Goosebumps series, The boy in the striped pyjamas or a book I just discovered: 《找死专卖店》,the translation of a French novel (Le magasin des suicides). It's short, fun and very easy! I posted a photo of the first page here ( http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/2034-what-are-you-reading/?p=335918 ), have a look at it!

I've a goosebumps book about an evil doll, just waiting for my next day off to start it. When it arrived I realized the main characters name is my name. Must be fate, right?

I'll probably read this and maybe another one then try look at THG again. I could start THG now but i think i'd just be looking up workds the whole time. Not the way to keep me motivated.

I've had enough of graded readers though. At least, i've read all the ones that don't seem mind numbingly boring.

Thanks Imrom for the link, will take your advice on board. Especially the habit of reading. I need to stop watching so much TV on youku. It's just so convenient. Lets hope they keep banning shows so I can't watch them.

Geiko, that link wouldn't work. Will try again later / on my laptop.

• Like 1

I'll probably read this and maybe another one then try look at THG again.

Depending on how difficult you find THG, it might be better to get maybe 4-5 other books under your belt before starting on it, just to make sure you've seen a broad increase in vocabulary.

That will also make the progress you have made easily recognisable.

You might be right there. We will see how i find this first goosebumps. They appear to have two stories in one book.

My level is between HSK 4 and 5... If that means anything.