Chinese-Forums

Pop-up dictionaries - how perilous are they?

realmayo

I have found that this thinking for a second or two is part of the learning process.  If you try and shortcut that process, then you are short-cutting your learning

That might be one way of looking at it. Another way would be that you're sacrificing the benefits of reading extensively, just to re-learn a small number of words: perhaps seeing the word three times in context can be better than just thinking deeply about it.

if all you are doing is looking briefly at the English (and possibly the pinyin), closing the popup and moving on

Well, you can copy & paste it or add it to flashcards -- no more effort than underlining it in a book. And then go back later. This way you don't interrupt the flow.

the person is choosing content that is not appropriate for their level

Or just, they can't read it comfortably in paper form but can do so with a pop-up dictionary to hand. But actually -- I'm not talking about books where there are loads of unknown and forgotten words. Just looking up a few can be a hassle, one which is eliminated by a pop-up. 

if a large part of it is really just reading a poor word by word English translation.

That's not the case, so it doesn't apply.

I'm not saying you should pop-up-look-up every single word you have the tiniest difficulty with. That would be a bad habit. 

Instead, I am increasingly confident that these pop-up dictionaries can be profitably used without developing that bad habit.

So it comes down to: do you trust yourself to use them 'safely'?

• Like 1

As mentioned in another thread, the things I've been doing recently in order to try and strike a balance are:

- getting into the habit of pausing and thinking before tapping an unknown word, and then ask myself why it is unknown or why my understanding/pronunciation was mistaken (just like imron says above);

- reading an electronic version and a paper version in parallel. I try to use the paper version as much as I can, usually after a few epages to test the level of the book, get acquainted with character names and the author's style, etc.

- forcing me to use a ZH-ZH popup dictionary. That way, looking up vocab still amounts to reading and learning.

That said, popup dictionaries are a godsend, because they significantly lower the threshold at which you can start reading interesting stuff in Chinese.

• Like 1

So it comes down to: do you trust yourself to use them 'safely'?

If you are using them safely, spending some time to try and figure things out first, asking yourself why you failed to know the word, and keeping track of which words you are looking up and adding them to some tool to help reinforce them later, then I think their use is not perilous.

The big step forward to me was changing my Amazon reader to a Chinese to Chinese dictionary.  I feel that this helped me a lot in the past month.  It helps me reinforce the Chinese meaning of the word much better... likely because I'm spending more time understanding the word.  When I use the Chinese to English I found myself skimming over the definition much too fast and it takes me many more repetitions to memorize.

• Like 4

Yes, I see how that would help memorise words, perhaps I ought to do more Chinese-to-Chinese myself. 

Here's the thing though. That's fine for, say, the first 20 or 30 unknown or forgotten words you come across. And maybe you come across that number of words after 20 minutes of reading. But if you carry on reading for another hour or two, is it worthwhile making this 'intensive' vocab effort for the next 100 such words? For me, I try to limit that effort to a smaller number of words each day, closer to 30 than to 100. But I still think I derive a lot of benefit from that extra hour of reading (when it happens). 

Here's the thing though. That's fine for, say, the first 20 or 30 unknown or forgotten words you come across. And maybe you come across that number of words after 20 minutes of reading. But if you carry on reading for another hour or two, is it worthwhile making this 'intensive' vocab effort for the next 100 such words? 

That's a good point, and I agree with you there.  At a certain point you will likely reach of point of diminishing returns, and if you looked up 100+ words in the past hour or two, then the chances of you retaining 10 of those 100 versus 10 of 10 you really focused is much less... clearly the 10 of 10 would yield better results.  

I guess it all comes down to the quality of the study, not the quantity.  As my dad used to always tell me, "Practice doesn't make perfect, a perfect practice makes perfect".  Whether you use a popup with English, paperback, C-C, etc., it all comes down to the quality of your study and how much you focus your learning efforts on properly learning, and not just going through the motions.

• Like 1

Some popup tools will keep a history. But some kind of automatic linkage to your flashcard system would be convenient. Then set "new cards after reviews", and if you've used the popup too much you don't get to learn any new words that day. 

(Such a system probably already exists but I was thinking about the future of Imron's program. Edit: I think this is in the spirit of the reason he gave for not providing a popup at this time.)

...but I'm just watching 非诚勿扰 nowadays anyway ---- what reading???  :mrgreen:

I watch that show too, just saw the episode in which a guy starts dating a girl working at the show :D

My advice is: use pop-up dictionaries, but turn them off by default. This way you'll only have to click it to look up anything, but this little bit of extra effort will make it less likely that you'll start looking up words that you could figure out y yourselves.

Or an alternate method: open a dictionary in a separate window and alt-tab in and out whenever you need to look something up, this way you'll still have to type the word, meaning you will practice recognising it and memorise its pronunciation more easily.

but I was thinking about the future of Imron's program.

Yes, this is something I plan to integrate at some point - popups, but with tools that make you acknowledge that for the purpose of reading, any looked up word is an unknown word, and therefore you should be added that to a list of vocab items to study.

That's fine for, say, the first 20 or 30 unknown or forgotten words you come across. And maybe you come across that number of words after 20 minutes of reading. But if you carry on reading for another hour or two, is it worthwhile making this 'intensive' vocab effort for the next 100 such words? For me, I try to limit that effort to a smaller number of words each day, closer to 30 than to 100

For me, when I'm in vocabulary learning mode, I'll not learn more than 10 words a days.  Anything I come across after that I might look up, but won't add to flashcards or make much effort to remember, though I'll generally pause for bit to think about the word and the characters used and make a mental note of ones I see repeating often.

For those first 10, I'll make sure I learn them really well.  I have no problem with popups if usage of them incorporates revision of a certain portion of looked up words.  The problem I have with popups is that they tend to discourage that to some degree.  That's a problem I hope to address with Chinese Text Analyser, by providing an easy way to get those words in to your revision process.

• Like 1

Maybe a good rule of thumb is: 

"If I had to interrupt someone who was reading a book this often to ask vocab questions, would I feel I was excessively disrupting that person's reading experience?"

Because basically, that's what you're doing.

I think pop-ups are fine, but the very important rider is that you need capture and review processes. If you're just looking the same word up over and over again, or recalling the vague meaning but not pronunciation or specific uses, you're failing. 

• Like 1

How about try reading a real book (paper)?  There will be no pop-ups, and you either can read it or you can't.  No interruption by pop-ups at all.  By doing this you get to know at which level you really are.  I started reading English novels this way, and experienced what imron described when the books were too difficult. When the books are at the right level, you don't really need to pause to look up words that you don't know.  No need for pop-up dictionaries, really.

Sorry if this is irrelevant.

• Like 3

If you're just looking the same word up over and over again, or recalling the vague meaning but not pronunciation or specific uses, you're failing. 

Well, you're certainly failing to learn that word. But maybe that word's not too important in the grand scheme of things, as long as you're learning others and reading lots.

The more you read, the better you get at reading. I'm sure that's been said before! And that skill improvement is surely not just limited to learning some new words. The benefits of reading must be:

- learn new words and grammar, and reinforce recently learned material

- improve reading skill (figuring out complex sentences etc)

- spend extended time receiving 100% Chinese input

If you're only reading in order to increase the number of words you know, fine, you can get that done in 15 minutes, assuming you're only going to learn 10-20 new words a day. That's vocabularly building, rather than reading.

But if you see benefits to spending an hour or more reading, then you've got to go beyond the focus on vocabulary (unless you've got a photographic memory for words).

• Like 1

Skylee, what you write isn't irrelevant, but it is unrealistic for me at my level: if I read any proper Chinese book for an hour or two, I will come across more than 10-20 unknown words. My brain won't let me learn 100 new words every day. But I enjoy reading. 怎么办? 

Lots of those words, I don't need to look up, because their rough meaning can be guessed. For others, it's easy to see that not knowing what they mean isn't a big deal, and I keep on reading. But there are some times when you need to know the word, to maintain comprehension, and a pop-up allows you do do what without breaking concentration. 

Sometimes hikers like to walk with a stick. That doesn't mean they're walking at the wrong level.  :D

But I agree, sometimes it's imporant to read on paper, just so the process doesn't feel alien.

When the books are at the right level, you don't really need to pause to look up words that you don't know.

That works in English, but not in Chinese, because while you may get the meaning, you won't get the pronunciation.

I think the answer depends primarily on how much self control the user has.

Like li3wei1 said, you can't count on picking up a vocab word just from seeing it.  Often times infer meaning once you're past a certain point, however the pronunciation is largely a mystery without knowing the answer. Yes, you can guess successfully far more frequently than by chance, but you have to choose the right radical, guess the right tone and that's unreliable.

Personally, I think using a pop up dictionary to verify that the word means what you think it means is OK. It's also great to use it to quickly look a word up for inclusion in your flashcards. But, habitually looking the same words up over and over is something that you want to avoid.