Chinese-Forums

Glossika method

Auberon

it shouldn't be on Amazon's end

Don't know what the problem was but it was consistent: it meant download speeds five times slower than any other site.

Perhaps I should try cutting out the intros that way. Although so far I've ended up just excerpting via Audacity any sentences I think are worthwhile, about 50% of them so far: there's rarely material I don't understand but I'd like to reinforce and make-automatic my production of normal speech patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

The website has been updated. Much improved, IMO. Mike posted recently on Facebook that they have a new staff member now, so things should speed up some. They are a very small company, so keep that in mind. :)

I agree, it looks nicer and cleaner, but still a bit unorganized. It's still hard to find the product list. I think they've updated it recently, though, as now you can find the product list near the bottom of the page. I'm not sure why there's so much stuff on the home page, though.

I think overall the site is a lot better. I did find a list of some products near the bottom of the page, but seeing this page makes me want to buy a copy in a way that the previous version didn't. There's a bit of the usual puffery going on, but it's much easier for me to identify why I might want to buy the products than there was on the previous version of the site.

EDIT: I ordered the Italian one because I'm wanting to learn an "easy" language and I see that they've extended the initial download period to 36 hours. Hopefully that will make it easier for people to get their product without having to ask support for an extension.

I hope that they figure out how to offer bittorent in the future, because that would probably help quite a bit with wasted bandwidth.

My download link email arrived in about 10 hours.

Having heard it now, *even I* don't think the accent is a problem, so I welcome it.

They say a Cantonese program is "forthcoming". Until then, if I like this system I hope it will inspire my handling of the Cantonese materials I've already collected.

@Crush, you can find a listing if you create an account. I think the problem is that they have programs for languages, but not in all combinations. For example, there's an Italian and Mandarin program for English speakers, but there's no German program at the present for English speakers. They do have a German program, but it is only available for some other language.

I think eventually they'll want to figure out some way of presenting the information to people, but it looks like a table would be incredibly complex and difficult to read.

All it needs is two drop down boxes:

I want to learn: -------

I speak: -------

And then it shows the relevant products for that language pair. If I want to see a different language pair then I simply select another set of languages.

When the user selects a language from one drop down, the languages available in the other are updated automatically to only show available language pairs.

Something like that is very simple and also very intuitive.

• Like 3

Well, for those hoping for other languages besides Chinese and Taiwanese, they just sent out a newsletter:

Over the last two months a lot of people have decided to join the Glossika Team to help get our Fluency Series available in more languages. Between now and the end of the year we have more than 30 more languages scheduled for publication covering all major languages and many minor languages. Regional languages are also being developed for Chinese and Arabic and just about every language in between. Besides Mandarin and Taiwanese, we have already confirmed Hakka, Cantonese, Shanghai Wu, and Wenzhou Wu.
And every month we will continue to innovate to bring more flexibility and interactivity to our products. This month we announce language triangulation GMS files for 2-language pairs and 3-language pairs in any combination. For example, you may order Thai>Taiwanese>Chinese and we will custom build that GMS product for you.
Our website has been re-designed, and here is a list of the languages we have available for Europe, West Asia and East Asia.

(Emphasis mine)

@imron, looks like they opted to just display a list of the languages that they're supporting for the language the site is listed in. I also note that they've added German. I'll likely be picking that one up as well.

In general, I do like the philosophy behind it, I'm just glad that they're doing a much better job of presenting it to new customers.

I just ordered the Catalan course, i was kinda surprised to see it there. The language list at the bottom is a nice alternative for now, at least it's clear what's there (assuming they all have an English base).

As for the Chinese course, i've been struggling to keep up but have been doing my reviews every day, i just don't always have time to add new sentences. I've currently gone through the first 150 sentences, a lot of them have been repeats or just really simple (是的,不是,是 我是, etc.) but overall i've enjoyed the sentences, they seem like pretty standard things that would be nice to know, i imagine they get much more complicated as the course goes on though.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for those stats! There was a lot of stuff in there i was wondering myself (such as unique characters). I guess amount of characters isn't a good test of new words, but it is interesting to see how the new characters really start to level off.

Thanks @wibr for generating these stats. I thought it would be helpful to surface three of those stats directly in this thread:

Unique characters (cumulative):  2090

TOP characters % (cumulative):  0.695141065830721

TOP words % (cumulative):  0.44106826543125766

To be clear, "cumulative" means across all of Glossika's current Mandarin Chinese material: Basic 1-3, Daily Life, Travel, Business Intro, and Business 1. 

Just for reference, do you know about how many characters/words are included in the TOCFL list? About 8,000 words?

7,989 according to the official TOCFL word list [XLS RAR archive]. Word totals by level:

入門級: 500

基礎級: 498

進階級: 1503

高階級: 2496

流利級: 2992

The test is now comprised of three bands, A/B/C, with band C being the highest level. I'm not quite sure how the five levels in the word list (which reflect the old structure of the test AFAIK) align with these bands. 

7,989 according to the official TOCFL word list [XLS RAR archive]. Word totals by level:

入門級: 500

基礎級: 498

進階級: 1503

高階級: 2496

流利級: 2992

The test is now comprised of three bands, A/B/C, with band C being the highest level. I'm not quite sure how the five levels in the word list (which reflect the old structure of the test AFAIK) align with these bands. 

There is an old level to new level chart [pdf], but it's based on the test, not the wordlist. So maybe something like:

Band A: 入門級 and 基礎級

Band B: 進階級 and 高階級

Band C: 流利級

Just a guess, though.