Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

Glossika method

Auberon

There was a new review by Days of French 'n' Swedish a few weeks ago. (Here) As a native Swede I can confirm that some of the sentences are really weird.

The fact that they use the same sentences for all languages is probably the biggest minus for me, with native audio being the biggest plus. 

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

I've been on glossika for about 30 mins a day for Canto for about 3 months now. Screenshot:

chrome_xG5Xt2ybEu.thumb.jpg.13a06226ee710d43f16304878f838191.jpg

(The little medal things at the bottom represent green for days new words are learned, blue for days SRS reviews are completed)

After thinking about Glossika for a long time now, and having always voiced my support for shadowing, I invested a few months ago. I would say my verdict is: if you are learning Chinese languages, this is the resource you should be using at some point in your journey. Its not something you want to do forever, but I would highly recommend it for a year at least. My Cantonese tones (esp minimal pairs in sentences) have improved a lot in the last few months. I've solely been learning new vocab through the sentences too - very slow but I simply don't have enough hours in my day to learn new vocab elsewhere.

One big takeaway with the structure of the learning is just how realistic the CEFR alignment is. There's no gimmick, just lots of emphasis on hard work and putting the time in. Having done 50+ hours on the site, I'm still only a third of the way through the A1 level sentences (It seems there are 1000+ sentences in the 'A1 High' level still to learn).

Note: you need a grammar book or a teacher to accompany this resource, it definitely isn't standalone. As I already have Mandarin, I'm going to stick with just learning through Glossika to see out of curiosity how my Canto improves over the next few years. Will probably report back here in....2023? 

As for Michael Campbell, he's definitely a walk the walk guy leading the company - very, very knowledgeable about Chinese languages and dialects, some of his blog posts are fantastic on this subject. That being said, I wouldn't use Glossika for any other language than Chinese-related ones, as (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems they've been 'plugged in' from what I hear (sentences haven't been organically mined). 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Decide to go for the Black Week offer, have been meaning to do more listening practice and shadowing.

I like the simplicity of it so far. A bit of a bummer that it's frozen on a sentence in my third session (Chinese audio will not load, so I'm not able to proceed). Not sure if it's a server error or something on my end (Windows 10, latest Chrome browser). Hope it's not something that happens often.

On 11/24/2021 at 6:21 AM, Tomsima said:

That being said, I wouldn't use Glossika for any other language than Chinese-related ones, as (and correct me if I'm wrong) it seems they've been 'plugged in' from what I hear (sentences haven't been organically mined). 

Well the majority of the original sentences were actually taken from English grammar books (an older edition of English Grammar in Use i believe). I think someone found the books and shared them earlier in the thread. So the base sentences for all languages were translated from English.

That being said, i believe they've started adding language-specific sentences for some languages. For Chinese languages i think Glossika works particularly well, especially if you have access to a native speaker to ask questions since it comes with zero explanations.

Well the majority of the original sentences were actually taken from English grammar books (an older edition of English Grammar in Use i believe). I think someone found the books and shared them earlier in the thread. So the base sentences for all languages were translated from English.

That was my biggest beef with Chinese on Rosetta Stone.  I got free access to the program but soon quit because all the sentences were obviously imported from English or some other European language.  The photos also, if I'm not mistaken.  It felt really absurd to be studying Chinese with no jiaozi, no Great Wall, no real Chinese flavor at all.  The underlying concept, that languages are all the same except for the particular words and script, is quite useless and weird, in my opinion.

• Like 1