Chinese-Forums

One year of Chinese enough for Engineering Masters?

sujeto

Hi,

Perhaps we should end the discussion here. sujeto_1, you've been given a lot of advice, both about learning Chinese as well the merits of attending university in China, the United States, and Europe. At this point, it's up to you to make the best decision for yourself that you can. If you do start learning Chinese or decide to move to China, then please do continue use these forums to find answers to your questions. (As you have discovered, many people will be willing to help you).

Good luck!

Thank you everybody you ALL have being very usefull, either in a prescriptive or descriptive way. But i HAVE to remark i didn't expect to see many USA defenders and to few China defenders on a fourm called chinese-forum. I have recently learn a interest word in english "BIASED". 

• Like 1

This isn't about defending a country, or about being biased, it is about you making a decision. Most people here know Chinese universities first-hand, and so are a much better judge then you on that matter. We just stated an obvious truth, something that even most Chinese agree on, which is that their universities, at this point in time, don't measure up with their western counterparts, be it in the US or Europe.

Sorry if you can't some good-willed advice, but better to face some hard facts now, before you move to China.

• Like 2

sujeto_1, I am now pursuing a Masters in Chinese studies in India. You'd think the professors would recommend students to go to China to pursue Masters or Doctorate in this field. I mean, why not? There are at least 3-4 organizations in India which offer fully-sponsored education in China. Being in China would give you unbridled access to native resources and experts. And if a candidate already is fluent (or good enough) in Chinese, then seems like a cakewalk, doesn't it?

They all recommend going to US to pursue further education. It might seem like blind US worship at first, especially given how the intended field of study seems more appropriate in China, but if you stop and think, they make sense. It is not about hating Indian universities or being biased against the Chinese ones, it simply is a matter of quality. The huge number of Indian and Chinese students rushing to the US are not lured by green cards, it is about making the maximum out of 3-4 years they are going to invest in their degree. 

I appreciate your effort and willingness to pursue further education despite the immediate difficulties, and I would encourage you to persevere a little more and take a more informed decision. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

I don't know man, i keep not understanding what the heck has US University so special.

I think it's quite simple. Look at the university ratings. The top ratings are dominated by US, UK and lesser extent other developed countries. No doubt there goes a fair bit of subjectivity in these rankings and they are in part based on historic results. The validity of the rankings are open for debate, but as already pointed out, the real value is what recruiters think of it and they will look at the rankings too.

If I look at your reactions you don't seem to be open to alternatives as you seem to consider China your only options. This is fine, if you've done your due dilligence and it's your only option it's not worth debating alternatives and I would suggest you don't and stick to your original question about the suitability of language level after one year of study. I think it is already answered and I personally agree. In theory it might be possible if you work very hard and have talent, reality is probably not achievable. So now it's up to you to decide if you take on the challenge or seek an alternative.

Is one year of Chinese enough to do a masters in engineering?

I think that depends on what one means by "enough to do a masters in engineering". Is it enough to understand lectures in Chinese? No. Is it enough to read literature? No. Is it enough to write exams? No. Will one be able to get through the course and get a degree at the end? Yes. But that's just because the bar will be set very low for you, and not because your Chinese will be good after one year.

Having said that, if you work hard and consistently on your Chinese, it might be quite reasonable by the end of one year of Chinese study plus three years of masters.

• Like 2

This is probably not relevant, as it is a PhD fellowship scheme. But if you can get into it, it should be pretty good. No problem of bar being set too low. And you won't need to spend a year on learning Chinese. Things are done in English (unless you want to study Chinese).

https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html

PS - bar being set too low means the quality/standard of the degree / study is doubtful.

Hi Sujeto,

The China gov sponsors a program for students from Africa and a couple other less-developed countries to come to Shanghai and attend medical school. They are given one year of an intensive Chinese course and then jump right into the 4 year program. Few, if any, knew any Chinese before beginning the program. I know 3 students in the program at Fudan University and it's REALLY hard. They've all said that after the 1 year intensive Chinese program they are woefully unprepared for the 1st year of medical school. The professors don't really cut them any slack and the only way they get through is by all of the foreign students working together. One I know dropped out in the 2nd year, another after the 1st year. My other friend (from Angola) is going on to her 3rd year of the program and now is feeling much more competent. 

If anything can be gathered from their experience it's that trying to do a master in Engineering in Chinese after 1 year of study would be VERY difficult. An additional problem is that it would be highly unlikely for other students to be in the same boat as you. Also, the school may not allow you to enroll in the program if you cannot pass minimum standards of language competency. As mentioned here, you may want to look at other options or consider a longer period of very intensive study before you were to attempt this.

It can be done and you can do anything you set your mind to. Good luck!

• Like 3

People pass their exams using Asian methods including very valuable exam key points developed by generations of Asian students because the source of the questions doesn't change much over the years and/or mass cheating which was very popular in my university. So even if they don't set the bar too low, the international students still can manage to pass if they put some effort into it but actually learning anything from the course with that level of Chinese is a joke and you will forget all the keypoints an hour after the exam. You need at least 2 or 3 years of intensive Chinese to be able to learn something from an academic course and maybe about 5 or 6 years to get close to the what you are supposed to be like as a university student. I don't know anything about the requirements for a master's degree in your field but this is what I have seen over and over happening to the international students in general.

anonymoose, why you say that about "the bar being set very low" could you please elaborate more this?

What I mean is that, unless you don't bother making a reasonable effort at all, the expectation on you will be low enough for you to pass, even if your Chinese isn't at a level expected of native speakers.

It's funny the reply by Rufus because that's basically what I was also basing my answer on. I would agree with everything Rufus says, except for that the professors don't cut the foreign students any slack. It is true that the foreign students have to take the same exams as the locals, but even though it is not officially allowed, foreign students can get by by writing the exams in English, which is just as well, because otherwise NONE of them would get through with just one year of Chinese. Also, again, although it is not official, the professors will often be more lenient marking the exams of foreign students.

Apart from the above, the bar tends to be set lower at Chinese universities because, as someone else mentioned, as long as you go through the motions, you essentially cannot fail. But that is probably to your benefit as a student, if not for finding jobs afterwards.

• Like 1