Chinese-Forums

Book Recommendation: 士兵突击

Nathan Mao

This is the 许三多 book.

(a little background: the TV series came out in early 2008, I think.  The book was probably written/published before that.  When the earthquake hit in Sichuan, people trapped in the rubble knew (heard? assumed?) the military was helping in rescue efforts, many were calling out for 许三多 to come help, because he was the embodiment of a PLA ideal: someone who was so earnest and determined (and stupid?) that they would never quit in trying to rescue them)

This is touted as a story of someone slowly growing into the role of a top soldier.

Sort of.

It is also a story of leadership, both good and bad...and how sometimes you have good and bad leadership in the same person, and sometimes in the same act.

About halfway through the story, he finally breaks through and becomes a good soldier, but still keeps improving.  The improvement is kind of a jump, and it doesn't really explain why he is suddenly so good at things that plagued him earlier...he is shown to be very diligent and determined, but that doesn't explain mastery of some skills that are not dependent on discipline and determination.

The book uses 仍, 愣, and 晃 alot.

There is some interesting action, there is excellent insight into human behavior and the motivations thereof.  Descriptions are often vivid.  Good action.  Wide spread of vocabulary, sometimes gets into slang or locality variations, but not often.

The best thing about this book is the characterization.  Each character is unique and vivid.

Well worth reading. If you can pick up a copy (from a library?  That's where I got mine), do so.

• Like 2

The improvement is kind of a jump, and it doesn't really explain why he is suddenly so good at things that plagued him earlier... he is shown to be very diligent and determined, but that doesn't explain mastery of some skills that are not dependent on discipline and determination.

Did this annoy/bother you, did it diminish the character development in your opinion?

It annoyed me slightly.

It annoyed me because he was so clumsy he got everything wrong...but then there was an opportunity for him to work on skills on his own, and so that improvement made sense. But he went from being the worst soldier anyone had ever seen, to the point that he should never have been accepted into the military, to being the best soldier in the best unit...while still being clueless and a little slow.

However, it was only slightly because there were two possible explanations: his mentor says that 许三多's biggest problem is his nervousness/stage fright, and he is also motivated through trying to not be substandard (which would result in his mentor being kicked out of the Army).

It is just the result that is a little unbelievable.

In addition, 许三多 is really stupid/clueless.  I would like it a little better if there were a hint that his cluelessness was from thinking too much (analysis paralysis), but that isn't demonstrated clearly enough, so his development of several abilities that require mental ability seem less realistic.

But these are really minor quibbles. 许三多 is likeable, most of the other characters are likeable and interesting, the story is fascinating...

Worth reading, even if just to tell me I was wrong in my assessment of 许三多.

Arlington Central Library near DC.

I remember Houston had a good number of Chinese books at their main library when I was there.

If you live somewhere like Colstrip, MT, you are completely out of luck.

• Like 1

It annoyed me because he was so clumsy he got everything wrong...but then there was an opportunity for him to work on skills on his own, and so that improvement made sense. But he went from being the worst soldier anyone had ever seen, to the point that he should never have been accepted into the military, to being the best soldier in the best unit...while still being clueless and a little slow.

Hah, he's like a modern day 郭靖.  I hadn't read any 金庸 when I first watched this, but thinking back on it there are pretty huge similarities.

When the earthquake hit in Sichuan, people trapped in the rubble knew (heard? assumed?) the military was helping in rescue efforts, many were calling out for 许三多 to come help, because he was the embodiment of a PLA ideal: someone who was so earnest and determined (and stupid?) that they would never quit in trying to rescue them)

And not just 郭靖, but also 雷锋

As to libraries: if you're near a university library and are/can become a member, they can often do inter-library loans, which means that even if your library doesn't have it, they can order it for you.

UPDATE:

Okay, 2 things.

First, spoiler alert, so printed in white (highlight to read):

as I've read on, 许三多 hadn't changed as much as I thought.  In the space of a few pages, they had him being the best marksman, being chosen to go to night firing practice, being chosen to instruct for 3 weeks at the night firing training, and then being chosen to be a replacement Squad Leader. They had him say/do some things that seemed too much of a jump from his previous personality.  But continuing forward, the Regiment Commander arranges for him to spend 6 months almost totally alone for the purpose of making him ponder on what it means to be a person, how to get along better with others, etc.  And there are indications that he is reading constantly, so one can assume he is finally having the chance to learn how to think...his father clearly was unable to teach him to think, and deliberately (if unknowingly) prevented 许三多 from maturing in the village.

Second, just after I posted the recommendation (when I was about halfway through the book), it became clear that the television serial started making significant departures from the book at about this point.

Kind of a surprise since the first half of the television series was almost exactly the same, down to most of the dialogue...

Anyway, I'm enjoying this book more and more.

• Like 1

Good to be reminded of old 许三多. I seem to remember reading that the actor who plays him, 王宝强, got his acting break by hanging around outside the studios until they finally gave him a job. Very 许三多 thing to do. 

Okay, first of all, the book doesn't depart from the television series as much as I thought.  I just forgot some of the scenes in the serial.  I'm watching it now, and seeing things I totally forgot were in there, even after reading those scenes in the book.

One point: I think this television show has more crying men than any other show I've ever seen.

• Like 1