Chinese-Forums

What is the source of this quote from Confucius?

Laurent2222

Hello,

Here and there, in various quote websites, I found this quote from Confucius that I like:

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

However, I've been searching in various Confucius books for the keywords "fall" or "rising" (and other variants) but cannot find anything. Does anybody know where he might have actually said that (or something similar)?

• New Members

I've been reading the Confucian classics for quite a while and I don't recognize this quotation. I'm almost positive that it is not in the Analects (Lun Yu 論語), the only semi-reliable source.

As has been said, there are many "quotations" from Confucius out there in Western culture that are not authentic.

• Like 1

The same goes for anything listed as "an old Chinese proverb" (which is often used interchangeably with being attributed to Confucius).

According to this, the original source for your quotation is a book by Oliver Goldsmith called "The Citizen of the World". It seems the author, writing with the voice of a fictional Chinese man, borrowed Confucius's name to give the passage the sentence appears in a bit more gravitas (hence the false attribution). Original source: here.

• Like 1