Chinese-Forums

Simplified Characters derived from Japanese

iMm0rTaLBoi

As far as i know, the PRC was simplifying characters a few years after they took power to increase literacy. The Japanese, too, have been simplifying Kanji since they borrowed them from China. I have done some research about the nature of the simplifications and found out that many simplified Chinese characters come from Kanji. For example, 國 is the traditional for country. Kanji is 国 and is also 国 in simplified Chinese. There are also ones were all three are different such as, 廣 is traditional for big or grandiose. Kanji is 広. Simplified Chinese is 广. I would love to know what other simplified characters come from Japanese Kanji.

Do all of them come from caligraphy?

No, many simplified characters substitute a phonetic. i.e. a character with the same sound but a different meaning. This is also where you get some difference between Kanji and PRC simplified characters. The simplification of the Kanji may be based on short hand calligraphy while the PRC simplified character is based on a phonetic. A good example of this is "艺" meaning art, but sorry I can't type the three different forms of it here (due to lack of familiarity with the input system and Thai keyboard). Maybe someone else can write the Kanji, simplified and traditional forms of this character.