Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
iMm0rTaLBoi

Simplified Characters derived from Japanese

iMm0rTaLBoi

As far as i know, the PRC was simplifying characters a few years after they took power to increase literacy. The Japanese, too, have been simplifying Kanji since they borrowed them from China. I have done some research about the nature of the simplifications and found out that many simplified Chinese characters come from Kanji. For example, 國 is the traditional for country. Kanji is 国 and is also 国 in simplified Chinese. There are also ones were all three are different such as, 廣 is traditional for big or grandiose. Kanji is 広. Simplified Chinese is 广. I would love to know what other simplified characters come from Japanese Kanji.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Quest

I have done some research about the nature of the simplifications and found out that many simplified Chinese characters come from Kanji.

The simplified characters come from simplified styles in ancient calligraphy.

iMm0rTaLBoi

Do all of them come from caligraphy?

wix
Do all of them come from caligraphy?

No, many simplified characters substitute a phonetic. i.e. a character with the same sound but a different meaning. This is also where you get some difference between Kanji and PRC simplified characters. The simplification of the Kanji may be based on short hand calligraphy while the PRC simplified character is based on a phonetic. A good example of this is "艺" meaning art, but sorry I can't type the three different forms of it here (due to lack of familiarity with the input system and Thai keyboard). Maybe someone else can write the Kanji, simplified and traditional forms of this character.

skylee

The traditional Chinese version posted above is obviously not what I use, which is

(even more strokes :mrgreen: )

According to this dictionary, the three forms above are variants.