Chinese-Forums

Taro

Ian_Lee

Amazingly there is something in common between Chinese food and Hawaiian food.

In the Chaozhou cuisine, there is a very famous dessert called 芋泥 -- sweetened mashed taro -- usually served at the end of banquet.

Interestingly mashed taro is also served in Hawaiian food. It is called poi -- which is like bread or rice to the Polynesians.

But unlike 芋泥, it is not sweetened.

Actually taro is very healthy since it has a high content of fiber.

Amazingly there is something in common between Hong Kong food and Hawaiian food

Okay, so I changed Ian's quote a little bit - but luncheon meat is common between HK cha chan tangs and pacific islander cuisine as well.

My dad (who grew up in Hong Kong in the 50's and 60's) says that that's what used to pass as affordable "Western" food in those days - they couldn't afford to go to a real western restaurant - so to feel a little bit western, they'd have chan yuk or haam yuk in their sandwiches and instant noodles.

But Spam has never been popular in HK.

Besides Cha Chan Tang' date=' actually there were a lot of authentic Russian restaurants in HK in '50s and '60s.[/quote']

They were probably founded by White Russians who left Shanghai after 1949 (fleeing Communism for a second time). The Russians were also instrumental in introducing European style pastry in Shanghai, and probably HK as well. There was a famous Russian tea house, Maxim's, in Shanghai which served "French" pastries and was frequented by Chinese as well as Westerners from the French Concession and International Settlement. My theory is that it was the inspiration for the Maxim's chain in Hong Kong.

The Russian influence on Shanghainese eating habits was also manifested in "Russian" soup (luosang tang), a kind of cabbage borscht, which made its way into the repertoire of every family cook in Shanghai.

Okay' date=' so I changed Ian's quote a little bit - but luncheon meat is common between HK cha chan tangs and pacific islander cuisine as well.

My dad (who grew up in Hong Kong in the 50's and 60's) says that that's what used to pass as affordable "Western" food in those days - they couldn't afford to go to a real western restaurant - so to feel a little bit western, they'd have chan yuk or haam yuk in their sandwiches and instant noodles.[/quote']

There's a popular Hong Kong style bakery/cafe in San Francisco Chinatown called "Cafe Honolulu."

• 2 months later...
Not Spam specifically, but luncheon meat in fast food is quite popular. I mean, I certainly wasn't the only one eating it.

Definitely popular amongst Honkies. What skylee described as 餐蛋麵 (luncheon meat + egg + classic Demae Ramen 出前一丁) is still cooked at home by my Mum.. and I've been living in Australia for over 14 years now (we moved over from HK when I was 5).

From that, it's not hard to see that it is not only an extremely popular (but also v. affordable) meal amongst Honkies. That said, Mum now uses Spam too - hard to get decent luncheon meat over here.