Chinese-Forums

iMm0rTaLBoi

Is it just me or do Cantonese people call people of other races 鬼. I ask this because i have grown up calling white people "鬼佬" (gwai lo). And black people "黑鬼". Is it just my family, or just hong kong cantonese, or american cantonese or is it all cantonese?

Is it just me or do Cantonese people call people of other races 鬼. I ask this because i have grown up calling white people "鬼佬" (gwai lo). And black people "黑鬼". Is it just my family, or just hong kong cantonese, or american cantonese or is it all cantonese?

黑鬼 is a derogative term (hopefully you know that), and unfortunately most chinese (or ones I have been acquainted with), use it instead of 黑人

I know it's "He Ju" (or however it's romanized) in shanghainese.

黑鬼 is a derogative term (hopefully you know that)' date=' and unfortunately most chinese (or ones I have been acquainted with), use it instead of 黑人

I know it's "He Ju" (or however it's romanized) in shanghainese.[/quote']

鬼佬 is also derogatory,so both terms should be stop being used.

黑鬼 is a derogative term (hopefully you know that)' date=' and unfortunately most chinese (or ones I have been acquainted with), use it instead of 黑人

I know it's "He Ju" (or however it's romanized) in shanghainese.[/quote']

All the Shanghainese people I know just use 黑人 (pronounced "he ning") for black people. "Na gu ning" (Shanghainese pronunciation for 外国人) is usually used for white people. I don't perceive either term to be derogatory.

"Na gu ning" (Shanghainese pronunciation for 外国人) is usually used for white people.

It actually means foreigner.

To refer to blanc people, it's the best to use 白人,

as for native americans:紅人, and black people 黑人, as for yellow asians as 黃人.

Or you could use 黃皮膚人, etc.

But beware of discriminating meanings, because these are distinctions based on 皮膚顏色, and people aren't only 顏色.

All the Shanghainese people I know just use 黑人 (pronounced "he ning") for black people. "Na gu ning" (Shanghainese pronunciation for 外国人) is usually used for white people. I don't perceive either term to be derogatory.

Shanghainese is a very sterile dialect, probably more so than even Standard Mandarin. And 外国人 Gnakuenin refers to all foreigners (Japanese, Koreans included).

Devil/ghost 鬼 in Shanghainese is pronounced like Mandarin Hanyu Pinyin ju. But it is never used to refer to foreigners. In the States, the Shanghainese may use the term 黑鬼 "heju" as a derogatory term for blacks, but never in the Mainland.

as for native americans:紅人

No one uses that in Shanghainese for Native Americans..... It has always been 印第安人 Indieunin.

Shanghainese is a very sterile dialect' date=' probably more so than even Standard Mandarin. And 外国人 Gnakuenin refers to all foreigners (Japanese, Koreans included).

Devil/ghost 鬼 in Shanghainese is pronounced like Mandarin Hanyu Pinyin ju. But it is never used to refer to foreigners. In the States, the Shanghainese may use the term 黑鬼 "heju" as a derogatory term for blacks, but never in the Mainland.

No one uses that in Shanghainese for Native Americans..... It has always been 印第安人 Indieunin.[/quote']

I never heard of any Chinese groups that call Native Americans 红人,just 印第安人.