Chinese-Forums

ZDT 1.0.2 released

kaya

• 2 months later...

Hi thrymgjol, welocme on board. The lead developer is Chris Fong aka bogleg, His profile page can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/u/bogleg20/profile/

If you can't get in contact with him, let me know your e-mail address so I can send you the e-mail address of him (I don't want to publish it here publicly).

What is your background as developer? Did you check out the project, compile and run it already?

It's great to hear that we have an offer for a new developer! ZDT is a great tool for many to study Chinese vocabulary. I've been involved with the project since late 2012 or early 2013. I like to do testing, verifying and describing feature requests 

Thank you for already programming some corrections and suggesting some changes.

See feedback below: 

I've added two tickets for it.

"#5. Don't show '(All Categories)' in categories tab --> clicking on background deselects all"

That is a good idea.

-> Created a feature request for this: https://sourceforge.net/p/zdt/feature-requests/106/

As you said, you have a list of the changes. Could you let us know the changes, so we can add them to the ticket until you have been added to the development team.

"#7. Disable character additions to supercategories"
   "#8. Disable addition of subcategory to category with characters"
-> Created a feature request on the ZDT site: https://sourceforge.net/p/zdt/feature-requests/105/ and added some comments of my own.

"#6. In 'Edit an Entry' show correct charcter label (simplified/traditional)"

Are you referring to the title bar when pressing "CTRL-E" to edit an existing flashcard entry? See attached picture. If so, then I'll open a bug ticket

For 1-4:Could you tell me what I need to do to see the same problem as you are seeing? I am not sure if I understand what it means.

#1. IME problem with double entries in input-pinyin.utf-8 --> I fixed this with code, but I could also remove all duplicate entries from input-pinyin.utf-8

#2. In Add/Edit Character dialog, allow use of IME in traditional input field
#3. IME problem with converting multicharacter to simplified --> why even have multicharacter?
#4. Summary button shows up before last question is answered in self review mode

Thank you!

post-50134-0-36230300-1407841008_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply! That clarifies a number of things.

#1. IME problem with double entries in input-pinyin.utf-8 --> I fixed this with code, but I could also remove all duplicate entries from input-pinyin.utf-8

#1. Try entering dian or jian using the ime. You will get 1 option with two characters. This is because in input-pinyin.utf8, there is an entry for dian(1 character) and an entry for dian(2 charcaters). The parser records the first one, but overwrites it when it reaches the second.

I'm not 100% sure which IME and in which dialog. In the mean time, I have tried with both Sogou and MS Pinyin New Experience Input Style. With Sogou the first two options are 点 and 电. With MS Pinyin the first two option are 点 and 堤岸. Both I tried in the Add Entry dialog, in the simplified field. The double entry .  堤岸 gives in the traditional field "堤岸". I believe that that this is a different problem is than that you describe. You cannot choose - the program does, and it chooses the wrong one.
Update: Oh, now I understand, you mean the build-in IME of ZDT (Edit->IME Mode, CTRL-I). I've never used it sofar! But, yes, 'dian' or 'jian' both give a two character response. What is worse, the user cannot choose. If we type only 'di', there are about 10 option to choose from, but not so with 'dian' or 'jian'. It will be virtually impossible for the user to input '点'.
I will create a bug and put the link here.
Update: Bug tracker can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/p/zdt/bugs/158/

#2. In Add/Edit Character dialog, allow use of IME in traditional input field

#2. In the Add Entry or Edit Entry dialog, even with the ime on, the traditional textbox does not have an ime attached, so it types normal text when you have autofill off.

Confirmed. I tried it with IME on (CTRL-I or Edit -> IME Mod), and we cannot type any Chinese in the Tradional field of the 'Add Entry' dialog. To be complete, tested with and without Traditional Mode (CTRL-T or Edit -> Tradional Mode); both cases the problem occurs. Will create a bug for this in ZDT.
The bug can be found on https://sourceforge.net/p/zdt/bugs/157/

#3. IME problem with converting multicharacter to simplified --> why even have multicharacter?

#3. Notice that in your screenshot, in the traditional box, it has the simplified characters. This is because the file with the simplified to traditional map only has one character entries. I fixed this by having the ime convert one character at a time, instead of searching for a multicharacter string in the simplified to traditional file.

That is true. Noticed that also when trying to reproduce #1 above. The individual characters '堤' and '岸' do give a tradional character, but not when used together. Intrestingly, when typing '堤岸堤岸', the right tradional does appear!

why even have multicharacter

I think we should multicharacter, because many Chinse everyday words are multicharacter, such as 银行,地反,东西,包子, just to name a few random ones.

I will create a bug for this. I'll post when done.

#4. Summary button shows up before last question is answered in self review mode

#4. This is minor, but the summary link becomes active before the final question is answered, during self review mode.

Tested it, and yes, that is true. I think I never got down to '0 left'. Also for this one, I’ll create a bug for this and post here when done.
Update: Bug can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/p/zdt/bugs/160/