Chinese-Forums

[no more] Free Chinese Books [for now]

elina

I'm in the USA, and I'd be interested in reviewing and discussing:

Business Chinese Series—Speak Business Chinese Fluently + MP3

商贸汉语系列教材——商务口语流利说(MP3光盘)

Talk Chinese Series: Leisure Talk (with Mp3)

脱口说汉语:休闲口语(附Mp3

Talk Chinese Series: Shopping Talk (with CD)

脱口说汉语:购物口语(附CD

Encounters-Student Book 1

环球汉语-学生用书1

Step by Step Chinese: Elementary Chinese Character (I) (Chinese-English)

阶梯汉语初级汉字(汉英)

I'm in China right now and have tried to learn Chinese, but wasn't very successful. Want to compare these books (Encounters and Step by Step) with what I have so far, and see where they can benefit learning Mandarin. Perhaps these books could have slightly different approach or presentation, that can make the difference. I want to try and review to these books, and see what the pluses are.

My First Chinese Storybooks—The Wrong Shoes

我的第一本中文故事书穿错了鞋

This book I would like to review because stories is one way to see language in context and to use language. It is also nice to review, because stories are compelling and give different benefit and edge in language learning.

First of all, thank you to Sinolingua for sponsoring this. I've heard on these forums and from various bloggers who write about learning Chinese as a foreign language that studying from multiple books is the way to go- what a wonderful opportunity to see what's out there besides the usual textbook!

I'm currently in China, but will be moving back to the U.S. next month. I would love the opportunity to review the following books

Common Chinese Patterns 330

汉语常用格式330

It annoys me to no end when people try to convince me that the Chinese language has no grammar- particularly when it comes from my teachers. When it comes to speaking in public, it's not my accent or lack vocabulary that embarasses me, it's the fear that I'll sound like a toddler when I speak because I'm just not used to the grammar structures and sentence patterns of Chinese.  While studying in Taiwan I loved how the the PAVC books laid out the grammar in the first two books, and then introduced different to sentence patterns. Most books and teachers I had studied with previously focused on vocabulary and pretty much ignored the oh-so-important process of putting words together to form a cohesive sentence. I would love a book specifically geared towards teaching the structures and patterns of Chinese sentences.

A Compendium of the Usage of Complex Chinese Words

汉语疑难词解析与活用

This would be another great resource to help me start using words authentically. Although I can almost always get my point across to people, it's a little disheartening when people tell me 我懂你的意思 because I feel like I probably could have said it better.

Gems of the Chinese Language Through the Ages- The Stories behind 100 Chinese Idioms

博古通今学汉语丛书典故100(汉英对照)

One cool aspect of teaching in Shanghai was the fact that I could bring my textbooks to work and get help from my co-teacher during breaks. She knew how hard it was for foreigners to learn characters, so she would tell me the stories behind different 漢字to help me remember how to write them. She also got me interested in Chinese idioms. She would write things like 牛頭不對馬嘴 on post-it notes and put them on my desk so I could study them.

Thanks for your consideration!

That's quite generous of you. I'm a graduate student in World Languages in the USA. I would like to review

A New Chinese Writing Course (English version)

Graded Chinese Reader 2: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3.

I live in Australia and I'm currently majoring in Chinese at university. Despite studying Chinese for quite a long time, I'd put my level at lower-intermediate. I've never taken the HSK test before, but I'd say my level is somewhere around level 3.  I'd be happy to review any of the books :)

New HSK Mock Tests and AnalysesLevel 3 + MP3

HSK(三级)模拟试卷及解析(附光盘)

Chinese 101 in CartoonsFor Emergencies

漫画汉语101句(应急篇)

A New Chinese Writing CourseEnglish version

新汉语写作教程 (英语注释)

I am in the USA, and I would like to review the following books:

http://www.studychin...ook.asp?id=5389

Learn Chinese Through 100 Sentence Frames + MP3

100句式汉语通(汉英对照)(MP3光盘1)

New HSK Mock Tests and AnalysesLevel 3 + MP3

HSK(三级)模拟试卷及解析(附光盘)

Thank you Sinolingua Co. Ltd., and www.chinese-forums. com

great little offer... and gets me stimulated about what I want to be looking at during the next period. Here are my choices if they are available...

Glimpses of Contemporary China-- Delights of Chinese Cuisine

当代中国微记录:中国人的口福

I like cooking and food.

汉语疑难词解析与活用

I feel that this type of books are important but they can also become frustrating.  Am interested on how you have handled this dilemma. 

A New Chinese Writing CourseEnglish version

新汉语写作教程 (英语注释)

Anything that gets me writing more would be helpful.

I am based in Shenzhen China. 

Regards,

mark

I'm currently living in Sydney, Australia.

The books I would like to review focus on my current studies (HSK 3) and 2 books to entertain and enjoy while learning at the same time.

New HSK Mock Tests and AnalysesLevel 3 + MP3

HSK(三级)模拟试卷及解析(附光盘)

Easy Recipes Easy Chinese

我爱中国菜

Sing Chinese with Me + MP4

跟我唱汉语(汉英对照)(MP4光盘)

Looking forward to this great opportunity to review these new books.

New Zealand.

Easy Recipes Easy Chinese

我爱中国菜

Gems of the Chinese Language Through the Ages-The Stories Behind 100 Chinese Idioms (Chinese-English)

博古通今学汉语丛书—典故100(汉英对照)

Chinese 101 in Cartoons(For Emergencies)

漫画汉语101句(应急篇)

I'd like to have some light reading material to look over.

I'm in China (Kunming), and I'd like to review the following books:

Graded Chinese Reader 2: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3
汉语分级阅读 2(附MP3)

汉语常用格式330例

汉语疑难词解析与活用

The first would be a nice step up from the very easy graded readers I'm using at the moment; the next two would help me with the critical task of learning not just vocabulary but how to use vocabulary in an authentic manner.

Hi, I am in Macedonia and would be gratefull and happy to get these titles:

Business Chinese Series—Reading and communicating I

商贸汉语系列教材——商务汉语阅读与表达 1

汉语疑难词解析与活用

汉语常用格式330

All the best!

David Lloyd-Jones

Hi,

I'm in Toronto, Canada, HSK 3-ish, and would be happy to review any three or four of the following:

Business Chinese Series - Reading and Communicating

New HSK Mock Tests and Analyses (Level 3)

Big Book of Spoken Chinese

Chinese Express -- Practice Chinese

Wall Chart for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language

Best wishes,

-dlj.

Lakers, please put the name of the books in the post so we don't have to open three webpages, David, you're asked in the first post to limit your request to three books, in order of preference. 

Seeing plenty of occasional visitors tempted in by the free goodies - please do take a  look around and post elsewhere. We have plenty of interesting stuff on here. 

• Like 3

Hi!

The three I think i'd genuinely get a lot of use out of and the ones that appeal the most to me are as follow:

Business Chinese Series—Reading and communicating I

Glimpses of Contemporary China-- Delights of Chinese Cuisine

Talk Chinese Series: Office Talk (with Mp3)

I am currently an intermediate learner prepping to take the HSK4 in the summer, and will likely be moving to either Shanghai or Taipei in August/September. The above seem well targeted to my current level - giving me the ability to understand whilst also pushing me to learn new vocabulary/grammar and apply what I know to new situations. Alongside this the Business/Office talk books are specifically related to my career in banking & finance. I have the aim of working for either a Chinese or MNC firm in China within the next 12-24 months, so genuinely believe that the books will be a vital resource to me. For the Delights of Chinese Cuisine, puled with the above, I love to cook! It would be a great challenge to learn to cook in Chinese!

Oh, and i'm from the UK

Am in London, UK, and would like to review the following:

汉语疑难词解析与活用

Coming onto the intermediate plateau requires the gradual accumulation of so much vocabulary that I find sometimes it's difficult to keep the nuance and usage of all of them clear, I'd like to see how this book helps the intermediate to advanced student in developing that feel for the language.

Voyages in Chinese— For Middle School Students Student’s Book Vol 1

中学汉语-学生用书 1

With the great increase in British secondary schools taking Mandarin Chinese for their pupils, keeping them motivated while making sure they progress is amongst the greatest struggles that teachers face. With no shortage of such textbooks around, I wonder how this fares compared to some of the others.

An Elementary Course in Scientific Chinese1+MP3

基础科技汉语教程——听说课本(上)(附光盘1)

The particular requirements of scientific communication, both intra- and inter-domain, mean that the language is adapted mercilessly to meet the needs of the end-users. But what constructions are the sanctioned ones? Which lend themselves well to the field? And which cause the obfuscation of key ideas and concepts that leave scientists and those interested in science irritated? I would like to see how this book can help those have contact with science in Chinese, whether in a Chinese-speaking/-writing environment or not.

Hi All,

I am from South Africa. I have a mother from Dutch Ancestory and my father is Hakka. so, at home we speak only English and i would love to teach my children a language that i love but still have to learn. When i encounter people in my daily life i am always sharing my Chinese heritage and plant seeds all the time that Chinese is important to learn and should be available in our local schools. i would love all the books, but would be grateful for these in order of preference

Wall Chart for Teaching Chinese as a Second Language: Pinyin

国际汉语教学通用工具包-拼音挂图

Chinese for Primary School Students 1 + CD-ROM+ Two Exercise Books+ Cards

小学汉语(课本1)(汉英对照)(CD-ROM光盘1,练习册2,卡片1)

阶梯汉语初级汉字(汉英)

Thanks

Hulunn Choo

Hi I'd be interested in these

Gems of the Chinese Language Through the Ages-The Stories Behind 100 Chinese Idioms (Chinese-English)

博古通今学汉语丛书典故100(汉英对照)

Graded Chinese Reader 2: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3

汉语分级阅读 2(附MP3

汉语疑难词解析与活用

I'm HSK4ish - based in the UK but will be going back to China soon.

Adam