Chinese-Forums

[no more] Free Chinese Books [for now]

elina

I'm happy to report that I received my books this week :) It was a nice surprise, because I expected it to take much longer :) Thank you so much once again to everyone who made this whole thing possible :)

Now I understand that we do have some time to write the reviews, right? Like I mentioned before, the books I requested are a bit above my level, so it might take a while until I actually get to use them and get something out of it. Or I can try and see what I can do with the books now and write my reviews faster. Please let me know which approach I should take :) Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Just recieved my book today! It was a plesant surprise as I forgot I was expecting something.  Looks good so far, will post a review within the next week or two.  Thanks again for the book!

• Like 1

Got my materials today. Thanks! It was fun looking through the chinese newspaper that was used for packing materials :)

Posted my review for the Pinyin Wall Chart.

Other books will take a bit more time, I'd like to read through them before I review them. The two books I got look really good, so I'm looking forward to going through them.

• Like 2

Thanks for informing us the receiving message. :)

Now I understand that we do have some time to write the reviews, right? Like I mentioned before, the books I requested are a bit above my level, so it might take a while until I actually get to use them and get something out of it. Or I can try and see what I can do with the books now and write my reviews faster. Please let me know which approach I should take

Ania, personally I think you could try the way that you like, no problem. But if you write an initial and fast review, then write a ‘deep’ and thorough review later, nobody will object :mrgreen: . For your reference, please have a look at some reviews like this post, or this post or this post in 2008.

For SAL packages, the shipping time can be quite different, normally from 2-6 weeks for most places, because if there’s unoccupied space for airmail, then the SAL packages can be put in and as fast as the airmail; but if not, SAL can be much slow. And other situation should be also considered, such as customs delay, local postal system working efficiency, etc. For example, li3wei1, fabiothebest and Nathan Mao are among the first group of packages we sent on May 16, because they very quickly answered my enquiry about their address, but till now we still cannot find the packages’ information overseas.

We checked and found currently several packages in USA and Sweden 到达待取/ already arrived, waiting to be taken. We’ll send emails to remind them to pick up the packages early next week, because if nobody picks it up for some time (maybe a few weeks or one month), then the package will be returned to the sender by the post office.

• Like 1

Received my 2 books today, thank you again! I'll try to get a review for the reader (Glimpses of Contemporary China-- Delights of Chinese Cuisine) up within the next week, but the Business Chinese textbook will take a bit longer for sure.

• Like 1

Yes, I'm one of those who immediately provided the address and also Elina sent the package very quickly. It was sent on May 16th (from Beijing), but strangely it was received for the custom scan in Beijing on 28th May (12 days later). I hope it's on the way to Italy now.

9hWoP4Z.jpg

Can't wait to get the books :) I'll let you know as soon as I get them :)

• Like 1

You should all be doing unboxing videos!

"Thanks! It was fun looking through the chinese newspaper that was used for packing materials "

I actually think there's a viable business of picking up old newspapers and advertising flyers on the streets of Beijing, then selling them overseas as 'Authentic Chinese learning realia'.

I hope it's on the way to Italy now.

Fabiothebest, please don’t worry, your checking result shows the last place and date your package was within mainland China. It is already on the way to Italy from 28th May and will arrive soon. For example, take a look at li3wei1’s package:

item No.                   Year  Status                                                            Location    Destination Country            Date

RA622277945CN    2014  Collection                                                      10006101  GB                                      20140516 1657

RA622277945CN    2014  Departure from outward office of exchange  10010200  GB                                      20140528 1014

RA622277945CN    2014  Arrival at inward office of exchange               GB            GB                                      20140607 1115

It’s interesting to hear quite a number of foreigners like the old newspapers used to pack the books through emails and message again and again, we’ll seriously consider Roddy’s idea :)

• Like 1

It's such a nice change to see China Post tracking numbers and know they are for parcels containing the correct goods, and that they are in no way shape or form involved in any type of scam.

Yes, China Post tracking system is much better than before. But still sometimes the data is backward, when the receiver already gets the package, it cannot show that immediately. So we usually also check the destination’s postal system to see the real time situation of the package. After checking, we find there’re several packages not arrived till now, it’s normal, it’s still on the way, due to the reasons mentioned in my number 86 post, SAL package needs 2-6 weeks, and sea mail even needs 3 months or more.

When you review your books, it'd be very helpful if you mention:

a) that you got this book as a part of this giveaway and link to the topic,

b) and post here to add a link to your review, 

c) and add the book’s link on our site in your post, to let others know the details of the book.

Many thanks for the quick reviews from lechuan, Hofmann and li3wei1, posted here, here and here.