Chinese-Forums

Question about 毛笔字 Chinese Calligraphy and Character Order

pdog

Hi folks, I just had a question about the direction and order of characters for Chinese Calligraphy.

I know traditionally you have two orders, either right to left, or top to bottom (see attached).

My question is, for something like a 4 character set (成语), is a 2 x 2 square considered proper, or is it very rare?  I don't mean something you put on a seal, but actual calligraphy.  Additionally, if a 2 x 2 square order is permissible, what direction would be considered proper?  For example I have two sets (Square 1 and Square 2), where the first set is Top-Bottom-First-Then-Right-Left, and the second is Right-Left-First-Then-Top-Bottom.

For the sake of example, I have chosen "脱颖而出" as an example.

Many thanks in advance.

post-56597-0-90661000-1399474177_thumb.jpg

post-56597-0-58469000-1399474178_thumb.jpg

post-56597-0-29442700-1399474179_thumb.jpg

post-56597-0-10216100-1399474180_thumb.jpg

Usually if it's just 4 characters, it's just a single column as in your first image, unless for some reason you can't fit it in a column and you have to make it a row as in your last image. A square arrangement is usually for seals, so it would be pretty weird to do so if you have room for a column, but in such a case, they should be as in your second image.