Chinese-Forums

Jealousy towards Westerners (from "other" Asians)

Alex Whiteman

If there is a god I sure hope She does better things with Her time than read Youtube comments. 

God is a SHE now? This forum is the most politically correct forum I have ever seen. Is God a gay vertically-challenged black woman too?  :lol:

You're welcome to your belief of course! 

God is a SHE now? This forum is the most politically correct forum I have ever seen. Is God a gay vertically-challenged black woman too?  :lol:

You're welcome to your belief of course!

I'm glad the idea that God is anything other than a white man tickles you so much.

• Like 3

I don't believe any of it and am not bothered about it.  But all the christian beliefs (if that's the religion you are referring to), refer to God as a man, Jesus and disciplines were man so I think one should either accept that faith as it comes in its entirety. But one can't omit the bits, especially the fundamental ones to the faith because they don't like them and then be a believer of that faith. No idea about the sex of GOD in other faiths

In any case I do believe that anyone has a right to believe whatever they want as long as they don't influence others too much towards a negative light good luck to them

Not knowing what people write on youtube comments kinda precludes being omniscient, right?

I'd like to think God takes a similar approach to me: She knows the comments exist, but She chooses not to spend any of Her brainpower on it.
  • Like 1

I do remember as a kid suggesting to my teachers (monks) that surely Jesus must have look like an Arab if he was from the Middle East and he must have been darker skinned than the pictures in our religious books.

I got a a right walloping for that comment and was put kneeling in from of a statue of the Dear Virgin Mary to repent my blasphemous ways :D

• Like 1

Where in this thread did anyone mention staying together? Long-term Chinese-Western couples do tend to be like all other couples. But it can't be denied that there is also a significant proportion of stereotypical couples, who tend not to last very long, unsurprisingly.

Whoa, I think this thread took an unintended exit a few miles back, but just to make a small point before getting a cold beer out of the fridge and taking a break from my role as an armchair anthropologist:

Of course there are flings happening in China, and of course there are people who hook up with others based on ulterior motives. But have a look at the nearest college campus, or talk to your mom about the latest gossip in her circle of friends, and tell me if people behave differently where you are. I come from a socially stable, relatively well-adjusted first world nation, and in my circle of friends I know plenty of people who have had their share of morally questionable flings and people whose motivations could be questioned if you wanted to analyze their relationships. But when we talk about our own countries, we don't make those kinds of relationships out to be archetypal of what goes on between people in general.

But all the christian beliefs (if that's the religion you are referring to), refer to God as a man, Jesus and disciplines were man so I think one should either accept that faith as it comes in its entirety. But one can't omit the bits, especially the fundamental ones to the faith because they don't like them and then be a believer of that faith.

That's why I'm a misogynatheist. There is no god, and he is not a woman.

• Like 3

• New Members

No- I don't think so. Women have been treated as second-class citizens and sexual objects for thousands of years. In America today, women graduating from college will still earn 75% of what their male classmates will earn. Unfortunately, the struggle for equal rights is far from over. My God, we still have to fight every presidential term to keep the right to an abortion. That right was won in the '70s, but we have to keep on fighting for it. (Let's not get started on a moral debate, I'm just making a point.) Accepting less respect than you deserve, just because it's an improvement over the last 6,000 years, is not a compromise you should be willing to make. I am 49, and I've experienced and seen many injustices done to women, simply because they are women. For the record, I am not a man-hater. I respect men. But, I expect the same in return. If you want to be treated as equals, start demanding equal treatment. In a polite, lady-like manner, of course. (Sarcasm, in case you don't get it.)

• Like 3

For what it's worth, you'll find that "girls" isn't generally paired with "men", it's generally paired with "guys".

Girls and boys

Girls and guys

Women and men

It's just that in the second pairing, "girls" doesn't mean female children, it means the female equivalent of "guys". The only other pairing that really works with "guys" is "gals", which sounds a bit affected, and is just a corruption of "girls" anyway. What other word would you suggest? ("Guys and women" would just sound weird.)

• Like 3

Hello, I know you gentlemen don't mean anything insulting, but please keep in mind that you are referring to "women" -not girls. Please show some respect. You don't call each other boys when you are over 20.

Yes we do. "Me and my boys - any boys you like? - She met a nice boy yesterday", all completely normal even for men over 20. :wink:

But the ungodly duckling above is right of course that the usual pairing is girls and guys.

• Like 1

No- I don't think so. Women have been treated as second-class citizens and sexual objects for thousands of years. In America today, women graduating from college will still earn 75% of what their male classmates will earn. Unfortunately, the struggle for equal rights is far from over. My God, we still have to fight every presidential term to keep the right to an abortion. That right was won in the '70s, but we have to keep on fighting for it. (Let's not get started on a moral debate, I'm just making a point.) Accepting less respect than you deserve, just because it's an improvement over the last 6,000 years, is not a compromise you should be willing to make. I am 49, and I've experienced and seen many injustices done to women, simply because they are women. For the record, I am not a man-hater. I respect men. But, I expect the same in return. If you want to be treated as equals, start demanding equal treatment. In a polite, lady-like manner, of course. (Sarcasm, in case you don't get it.)

I'm 100% with you Kate, but don't you think that there is quite a leap from calling a young woman "girl" to "second class citizens and sexual objects for thousands of years" and banning abortion?
  • Like 1

Dear Kate: Of course the US is a nut-house, you won't get any argument from me there, we've been heading backwards in so many ways for so long. At least there's one bright spot in the world--China--I daresay Chinese women have come closer to achieving equality than their US counterparts. I expect to see a woman leading China long before a woman gets the chance here in the US. A spectacular amount of progress since 1911, don't you think? And to think when I first went there I actually saw a few elderly ladies hobbling around on bound feet!

EDIT: Oops--should've said "a woman leading the PRC", a woman leading China is nothing new (Wu Zetian & Cixi)!

• Like 1