Chinese-Forums

What's your favorite combination of dishes ?

James888

When my family are together we spend all day planning, buying, preparing the cooking what ends up a 4-6 dish family meal. It's such fun and the end product so delicious we do it every time we get together.

So.... my question for the forum is, what is your favorite combination(s) of dishes for a family meal (or romantic meal for your partner!).

Last time at home for me it was:

seven happiness soup

deep fried crispy sweet and sour pork

stir fried lamb and spring onions

red cooked fish

stir fried cabbage with chili and seseme oil

steamed rice

mmmmmmmmmm :D

James.

I like -

老少平安 (steamed cake of minced fish, tofu and egg) (recipe here)

南乳芋頭炆燒肉 (taro and BBQ pork cooked in reddish bean paste)

咖哩雞 (chicken curry)

魷魚馬蹄蒸豬肉 (steamed cake of minced squid, water chestnut and pork) (馬蹄=荸薺)

清蒸鯇魚 (steamed fish)

清炒菠菜 (stir-fried spinach)

木瓜湯 (papaya soup)

etc etc ...... It looks like my folks much prefer cooking and steaming (煮/蒸) to frying/deep frying (炒/炸).

These are some of what I would eat at my mom's table. By myself it is always instant noodles or cereal. :oops:

Well, let's see. I have done so many combos for family or friends or classes, that I can't pick one. But if I were to do a special meal this week, it might be something like this.

Shredded Pork Sichuan Pickle Soup

Chiu Chow Chicken with Fried Spinach

Rice-coated Steamed Beef

Steamed stuffed Bitter Melon Slices

Pork with Yellow Leeks

Deep-Fried Squirrel Fish

Copper Well Street Noodles

But where would I put the:

Salt & Pepper Shrimp

Black Pepper Beef

&

Chicken/Chinese Sausage Sandy Pot?

Decisions, decisions!

• 3 weeks later...

According to medical research, a mix of broccoli and tomato in food serving will greatly reduce the chance of prostate cancer.

I asked my wife to try to make a Chinese dish with combination of these two vegetables. But so far she doesn't have any clue.

Any good suggestion?

According to medical research, a mix of broccoli and tomato in food serving will greatly reduce the chance of prostate cancer.

I sometimes lightly steam broccoli and then just put it in a generic, lightly-oiled stir fry, along with tomatoes. Otherwise you could just do it as two seperate dishes. 蒜泥西兰花 is good.

You are right about those cancer-fighting vegtables. Here's a good website to find out about nutritional properties:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php?PHPSESSID=4e3f0ca658e663bbafd78f56b33c9ef5

and broc-

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=9

Ideally a family of says ten should consist of 7 dishes including a rice.

A soup, a fish, a chicken or duck, beef or mutton, a noodle, a beancurd or egg(like hong siew beancurd or braised beancurd or fu yong egg/steam or whatever and rice. Throw in a dessert make it 8.

Alex

Kimchi is also a very good cancer-fighting food. Scientific research has pointed to kimchi as helping prevent intestinal and stomach cancer, because the cabbage has a lot of fiber, and the garlic and chili pepper help improve blood circulation. It also reduces blood cholesterol levels.

Don't eat kimchi prior to going out on a date with a girl though (especially on the first date), or it will cause a bad first impression. :D

7 dishes are not acceptable in my circle (I've only learnt this after I started working and organising lunches/dinners) because 7 has to do with funerals/deaths etc (I mean I don't care but the others do). We either order 6 or 8 dishes.