Chinese-Forums

One story of a Western girl getting married to a Chinese guy

xuefang

Aw, Sara, I'm reaching for the tissues and I haven't even read your post yet. 

I know you're not the most active member on here. But you've been visiting us for a decade, and you've gone from this (sorry, that's a bit like getting the baby photos out) to doing a degree and getting married in China. And it's been great fun to watch.

Congratulations to you both, and I'm looking forward to whatever you get up to next. I'm sure everyone else will echo that. 

• Like 2

I've always been the one who prefers to listen more and speak less, sometimes that translates to reading a massive amount of posts on the forum and writing just a one my self. I'll try to write more actively for the next 10 years though!

Haha, I had completely forgotten that post of mine! I think I've got the tone change of 不 mastered by now ;)

For what happens next, that would be to start my masters in teaching Chinese at Sun Yat-Sen University as I'm most probably getting the Confucius institue scholarship for that. After those two years I hope to open a one woman company and start teaching the language to Finns and Finnish companies around China.

One short term goal is to pass the 普通话水平测试, more about that in this topic: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/13829-chinese-exams/

Thank you for everything Roddy!

• Like 2

I actually saw that post on your blog a few days ago. Congratulations! The party sounded like a lot of fun. And you look so lovely in the photos, if you don't mind me saying so.

Aw, seems a lot of people are liking your post but are too shy to say 'congrats'. Too uptight and unemotional, this forum is....

What did your parents think of it all? Obviously they would have been happy for you, but at the same time it wouldn't have been the wedding they'd have imagined you having. How did all the relatives get on (and did you spend your wedding day translating?)

• Like 1

Uh, ah, well,  I thought the Europeans were supposed to be controlled and restrained? Ok, never mind, I'll go first with all American exuberance:

白頭偕老!!!!!!!!!

First, congratulations! Sounds like it was a fun, special day.

And a second congratulations on getting the paperwork done in one day. Took me and my now Chinese wife four visits to the office, which is located *way* outside the city centre. First time, we forgot to bring my wife's 户口本 - fair enough. Second time, this was what really delayed things. That 'single status' certificate you talked about and got stamped by three different offices - I did exactly the same thing while I was back in Australia for a break, officially translated into Chinese too. But was told this was no use, instead they wanted a 'stat dec' 未结婚证明 stamped by the Australian consulate in China. Essentially, it's a letter I wrote myself, saying 'my name is such-and-such and I swear I'm single, never been married'. Yes, for some reason, despite the fact this letter doesn't prove anything, it was more acceptable tham an actual certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. Meant a one day trip to Chengdu, since there is no Australian consulate in Kunming. Third time, we got there about 3.30 or 4 in the afternoon, were told 'not enough time to do it today' (we understood this as code for, 'we finish work at 5pm exactly, and want to make sure we do). Fourth and final time: success!

Thank you Lu, renzhe, Meng Lelan and Sydney Matt!

What did your parents think of it all? Obviously they would have been happy for you, but at the same time it wouldn't have been the wedding they'd have imagined you having. How did all the relatives get on (and did you spend your wedding day translating?)

My parents used to live few years in Beijing right before I was born, they actually moved back to Finland to give birth to me. I had my first Chinese boyfriend in Finland and the second when I moved to Guangzhou. As my husband is the lucky third, my parents pretty much guessed I would settle down with a Chinese guy. What came as a surprise was how quickly we decided to marry, meeting in December 2013 and getting married in February 2014.

I had my mom, little sister, one of my two little brothers and my sister's boyfriend to come to Guangzhou for the wedding After the week here my mom said she was very relieved to know I had chosen a good man.

I didn't have time to be the translator on my wedding day :D My sister-in-laws husband can speak some English and I also had Chinese-English speaking friends who helped my family to understand what was going on.

@Sydney Matt I was bit surprised how well everything went and how easy it was to get married in Guangzhou. By now I have pretty much done all my paperwork and once this final paper arrives to Finland I will be married legally there as well.

I got a private message about the wedding, but I don't mind answering the questions here.

If I may be so bold as to ask, can you give me a ballpark number of how much your wedding cost, and how much did you get back in Hong Bao.

Chinese wedding banquets start about 1300 to 1800RMB per a table for ten people. Of course the sum can go much higher if you marry in in the city center of a big city and choose an expensive hotel. I guess the sky is the limit.

Also, if you have the chance to do it all over, what things did you do that would not do, and what thing you did not do that you would do.

I really gotta say the day was just perfect! Can think of a anything I would change. Surely I stressed a bit too much on some decoration stuff before it, but that's just what we brides tend to do :D

I think, or hope, that our wedding will be much smaller than your, since only my parents would attend from my side.

Well, you can always hope! I only had four family members there and 15 friends, so most of the guests on the banquet were invited by my husbands parents. And our 15 table wedding banquet is considered very small.

• Like 2

Congratulations. Hopefully the Visa gods are kind to you now.

By the way, I think you talked about your then boyfriend sometime before December 2013. That seems far too quick.

Thank you 大肚男, imron, tysond, xuexiansheng, steingletscher, edelweis and hedwards. Kiitos laurenth!

Hopefully the Visa gods are kind to you now. By the way, I think you talked about your then boyfriend sometime before December 2013. That seems far too quick.

I got a two year spousal residence permit so that will last until April 2016, it seems that I managed to got to years because my husband's hukou is in Guangzhou where we live. Others have reported getting only a one year residence permit.

Yes, I met my husband few months after parting ways with my ex. I don't want to sound overly naive and romantic, but when you meet the one, he just wipes you off your feet ;)

• Like 2

Actually Xuefang, that's kinda my situation.

My girlfriend and I are getting married after being together for about a year. which is much shorter than my last three relationships.

Sometimes I feel that all the previous relationships prepare you (and wear down your defenses, haha), so the effect is pretty cumulative.

• Like 1