Chinese-Forums

WorkAudioBook – a tool for listening practice (and subtitle creation)

tysond

tysond: Thank you! 

philwhite: Thank you for suggestion! I am going to add simple functionality of recording and repeating of a user's voice. You suggestion is interesting, but needs more work, so I need to weight and think it over.

Hi Sergey,

I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work in developing this amazing language learning software. I've been using it for quite a while now and WAB has become my primary learning tool. I am very much looking forward to the addition of the voice record and playback feature. This feature will be a great help with correcting pronunciation. If I could make a suggestion. It would be very helpful if after recording your voice that you would have some playback options that would allow you to play back the audio (that you are mimicking) followed by your recorded voice and allow this to repeat if desired so you can listen and correct. I have used sequential playback in the past as well as simultaneous playback. I found both useful and worked best (for me) when I used sentences that were not too long especially with the simultaneous playback which can get a little out of sync if you don't make an effort to match the speed/rhythm of the audio that you are mimicking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is awesome and I used it when I had access to a computer with windows, but now I just have a Chromebook and Linux... I also have android and I use it on that, but I think the functions are more limited on android than on the desktop version, unless I'm mistaken. Does anyone know something similar for Linux and/or Chromeboook?

Anyone ever have trouble Opening files?

I downloaded the program, got a registration code, etc... But when I try to open an MP3 file I get this message: ERROR NotSupported calling waveOutSetVolume...

Update:

The developer Sergey is the best!  He responded to my email quickly and sent me a link to download a different version of WorkAudioBook that he did to work around the problem I was having (apparently something to do with soundcards).

Great customer service!  Thanks Sergey.

• 6 months later...

Has anybody tried to run WorkAudioBook under Linux with Wine? If yes, how did you do it? On my machine,  the programme starts but many widgets are not displayed, as if the widget toolkit was not recognised by Wine, which makes the software unusable.

I tried to use Virtual Box as an alternative. Unfortunately my computer does not allow virtualising (the option for virtualising is not even present in the BIOS) so I had no luck.

I'm tired of keeping a whole (broken) version of Windows and rebooting to use this one programme...

I know from my own programs that Wine has trouble rendering certain bitmaps, so I'm guessing all the widgets are drawn from images and the images are not being displayed correctly.

That doesn't help, but at least it's one avenue to investigate.

I'm guessing all the widgets are drawn from images

Hm, that would explain why the programme is so visually pleasing - and different from other, more standard Windows programmes.

• 8 months later...

Sergey, Loved your app before but now its Awesome. Good audio quality playback of the recorded voice which is important especially for tonal languages. I like the fact that I can repeat and listen to my recorded voice as many times as I want before advancing to the next segment. 

• 6 months later...

Thank you very much for this great app. I'm only having an issue: when I try to control the audio using the headset button, it connects with other audio player (netease), not with yours. How can I deal with this problem?

Also a suggestion : add tasker integration

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

I seem to have answered my own question. The audio player I want to use doesn't have the play store, so I downloaded it from a site that claimed it works on Android 2.2 and above. It seems okay, and I can confirm it works on a very old player with Android 2.3.

Unfortunately, that leaves me with another question...

Google play fees usually cover three devices for one fee. But I want to use it on four. The fourth one doesn't have the play store app, so I'm wondering how to pay for any extra devices...

Anybody got any ideas???

TBZ

• 3 months later...

I can see the .bookmarks file created by WAB in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.dropbox.android/files/.../scratch/WAB/, where the corresponding .mp3 and .srt files are also located.

Pleco can also see this file but the Dropbox app does not show it, and so can't sync it.

Can anyone tell me why Dropbox does not see this file, or what I'm missing?

Thank you. :-)

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Sergey for developing this fantastic tool and to TysonD for the explanations! This is a way more convenient way of doing things than just eyeballing the waveform in Audacity or in Subtitle Edit.

This tool really needs to become more well-known.