Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
roddy

Your New English Words

murrayspeaks

People have displayed daedalian ingenuity in learning all those words

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

crazy-meiguoren

Lahar: (luh-HAR) a volcanic mudflow.  Added to my vocabulary on May 18, 1980, when a nearby mountain blew its top.

• Like 1

imron

brobdingnagian - huge; gigantic.

Formication: the sensation that ants are crawling on your skin

Lu
47 minutes ago, roddy said:

Pleonasm

It's funny, I've known this word since forever... in Dutch (pleonasme). I think I learned it as a child, even before 中学. It barely registers as a difficult word for me. But now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever seen it in English, so it must be rare in that language. Funny how such things can vary.

Shelley
2 hours ago, roddy said:

Pleonasm

Having read the link, it strikes me that this word can be applied to chinese. So many words are pairs of characters or even 3 or 4, more commonly 2 to avoid confusion and ensure the meaning is transmitted even if the transmitting medium is not 100%.

From the wiki page:

"pleonasm can serve as a redundancy check: If a word is unknown, misunderstood, or misheard, or the medium of communication is poor—a wireless telephone connection or sloppy handwriting—pleonastic phrases can help ensure that the entire meaning gets across even if some of the words get lost."

I would definitely describe chinese as Pleonastic language.

edelweis
2 hours ago, Lu said:

I think I learned it as a child

Also a favorite word of French teachers.

Don't say "monter en haut" (go up upstairs), it's a terrible pléonasme.

(but most people say it anyway).

imron
3 hours ago, Lu said:

I don't think I've ever seen it in English

In English, this is typically called a tautology which from the linked definition, it seems that a pleonasm is slightly different from that in nuance.

Geiko

"Pleonasmo" is also a normal word in Spanish schools. I'd say that in Spanish 'tautology' is used in philosophy and logic discourse and has negative connotations, whereas 'pleonasm' is used in language classes, to describe unnecessary repetitions, but it's also a rhetoric figure in poetry, and then it's seen as a way to embellish a literary text. The meaning is essentially the same, but the words are used in different contexts. 

imron

sesquipedalian - given to using long words.

Geiko

Ultracrepidarian: noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside the area of his or her expertise. 

• Like 1

realmayo
22 hours ago, Geiko said:

Ultracrepidarian

My middle name ....!

• Like 1