Chinese-Forums

Bilingual English - Chinese texts, books?

sangajtam

Don't know what exact characteristics you're after, but I think there are loads of bilingual books out there.

I bought a few books of this series but they appeared to hard for me, see also my review here the series is available in English Chinese too and a quick google search comes up with this list of kindle books and this publisher of bilingual books.

• Like 1

I'd recommend going monolingual. Especially if you go with an ebook. The process of looking up the vocab you don't know is much easier. It's also much easier to run the entire book through something like imron's Chinese Text Analyzer to figure out whether the reading level is appropriate and to prelearn a lot of the vocab before you get to it.

The main problem I personally have with bilingual books is that they don't really help much with the actual reading. I'd love to get a bilingual book where the English was just a literal translation of the Chinese so that when I read the translation, I'm still getting a feel for the grammar and the way in which the Chinese is being used. And preferably with the English on the outside column so that I can easily cover it up when I don't need it.

TL;DR, get an ebook if possible and then you don't have to worry as much about going bilingual or monolingual.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned that. Since it's come up, it's a good idea to get a graded reader that has a glossary in the back that covers the idioms and some of the patterns. As far as I know they should all come with that, at least for the lower level ones, but it's something to keep an eye out for in case a particular reader doesn't.