Chinese-Forums

Chinese Comic lover needed

adam2073

After reading this excellent article by Ollie Linge, (http://www.hackingchinese.com/reading-manga-for-more-than-just-pleasure/) I would love to start reading comics to improve my chinese. My level (Studying HSK3 material) is pretty low at the moment so I would like to read children's comics, preferably something from Beijing. Failing that, I've heard Pokémon comics are available in Chinese but I haven't been able to find them. Where should I get comics online from? I'm looking for something that's free. I've been searching and the links haven't worked or have been unsuitable. Have to be in Mainland China? If someone could help by giving me a link to something suitable that works that would be amazing.

What has your experience of reading comics been like? Has it been helpful for you?

• Like 1

The first "native" material (it's a translation from Japanese) I was able to tackle was 哆啦A梦, as recommended here  (it's part of the project linked to by imron). The material is deliciously silly - I felt obliged to hide in some dark corner of the office cafeteria to read it over lunch time - but reaching the last page was a very rewarding experience, one that I will never forget.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Try comics DVDs or whatever of 蜡笔小新  and  樱桃小丸子 as well. 名侦探柯南 is another staple although I don't read that. Otherwise, I read a couple of the Nodame Cantabile after a year in China which were bought at the Beijing Bookstore. Pretty manageable, and you'll learn direct jp > ch translation words.
For a step up, check out 夏达, a Chinese author available at major bookstores in China (only a few releases to her name though).  子不语 is her big title. Pretty cool but probably too hard.

Finally there are 漫画 reading apps for mobile that will give you access to some mangas for free, 漫画魔展 is one (not to mention QQ and Baidu Readers and a whole host of misc reading apps (阅FM, 韩寒's "1" etc).  Chinese fansubbed mangas will be in traditional often though, so hope you can read that. 

As for mainland China restrictions, set a proxy.

If you have good simplified Pokemon, link it!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I went to Hong Kong... I think it was around 2007, however there was still no Eslite Bookstore yet.  I went to a bookstore named Page One and they have this section where they sell solely comic books or "man hua" as it is called in Chinese.  I bought some comic books written by Gao Mu Zhi Zi and some well-known comic books by Fujiko F. Fujio better known as "duo le A Meng" or "Xiao Ding Dang".  Fujiko F. Fujio is a Japanese writer who writes Chinese comic books also known as Doraemon.  Doraemon comic books also has cartoons shown and sold in Asia.  As of the moment, you can already buy them in DVD Box Sets.  

Gao Mu Zhi Zi is a Chinese writer who writes comic books about the adventure of one person in Japan and Taiwan.  Examples of his comic books are "Yi Ge Ren Qu Liu Xing" (One Person's Adventure Travelling) or "Yi Ge Ren Shang Dong Jing" (One Person's Adventure in Tokyo).

I tried searching the Internet for websites that sell Asian Comic Books... and there's this website I found name YesAsia.com, you can check it out if you want...