Chinese-Forums

Sino-Platonic Papers now free online

roddy

Wasn't sure where to put this, but the History forum doesn't get a lot of action at the moment, so decided to favour it. 

The Sino-Platonic Papers, which is, according to Wikipedia,

a scholarly monographic series published by the University of Pennsylvania. The chief focus of the series is on the intercultural relations of China and Central Asia with other peoples. The journal was established in 1986 by Victor H. Mair, to publish and encourage "unconventional or controversial" research by "younger, not yet well established, scholars and independent authors".

...now has all content available free and online - new papers have been available this way for sometime, but apparently they've now finished putting the archives up there for us all to enjoy. 

This is fairly esoteric stuff (for me at least). 

I was going to provide links to a few interesting sounding papers, but the site isn't working for me at the moment. Hopefully it'll be back up soon. 

Sino-Platonic.org

• Like 2

Glad it was useful. 

Let's pull out a few that look interesting (having put this in the History forum, I'm now going to select some linguistic-looking ones)

The Four Types of Mandarin - Idealised, Imperial, Geographical and Localised. May help illuminate some discussions on here. That's from 1987. 

Slips of the Tongue and Pen in Chinese by David Moser. 

The Family of Chinese Character-Type Scripts (Twenty Members and Four Stages of Development) by Zhou "Father of Pinyin" Youguang. 

Chinese Romanisation Systems: An IPA TransliterationChinese characters have been rendered phonetically into the orthography of Western languages and this is referred to as romani;ation. Presumably, this helps one to pronounce Chinese. The case is that none of them is correct, and they do not help muchwith pronunciation

Covert Sexism in Mandarin Chinese by David Moser again. 

Any one of these could provide years of discussion on here. 

• Like 2