Chinese-Forums

Free Chinese Books (Second Round)

elina

Free Chinese Books (Second Round)

After the first round, this is the second one of the free-book-giveaway. The following books (up to 3 free copies for each book) will be given to forums members, in return they will undertake to write a review of the books on the forums, such as the reviews on this webpage and this webpage.

When you review the books, it'd be very helpful if you mention:

a) that you got this book as a part of this giveaway and link to the topic,

b) and post here to add a link to your review, 

c) and add the book’s link on our site in your post, to let others know the details of the book.

If you are interested in obtaining and reviewing any of the books, please post in this thread:

* The books you are interested in (limit to three, and place in order of preference). And say why you want.

* Country you are in.

Not everyone who claims the books will get them, if the requested numbers of books are more than that we can give, Roddy, Sinolingua and I will discuss and figure out who get the books finally, we'll take into account how long you've been a forums member, how much of a contribution you've made, if there’s an air of reliability about you, if you've missed out on earlier giveaways, etc. Hopefully nobody will get upset.

We plan the second round will take about 1 week for claiming books, and more than 2 weeks for deciding who gets what and completing shipping, because the moving of Sinolingua’s storehouse has not finished entirely, it will take more time to transport the books to us, and then we arrange to mail the books to everyone.

The books’ list:

The Big Book of Spoken Chinese

汉语口语大全

Chinese Express—Practise Chinese + MP3

汉语快行线——练汉语(附MP3)

Learning Chinese Measure Words (Chinese-English)

看图学量词(汉英对照)

Sparkling Chinese Idioms and Sayings + MP3

妙语连珠说汉语(附MP3光盘1张)

Stories behind Chinese Poems (Chinese version)

诗词趣话(中文)

Pieces of China — A Reading Textbook + MP3

汉语阅读课本—中国那些事儿(附MP3光盘1张)

New Chinese for Children 1 + MP3

新儿童汉语1(附MP3光盘1张)

How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language (Chinese Edition)

怎样教外国人学汉语(中文版)

Everyday Chinese (Chinese-English edition)+ MP3

日常生活用语(附光盘)

A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing (1) (Chinese-English) + MP3

汉语语言文字启蒙(一)(汉英)+MP3

A Concise Chinese Grammar (Chinese-English)

简明汉语语法(汉英对照)

Business Chinese Series—Speak Business Chinese Fluently + MP3

商贸汉语系列教材——商务口语流利说(附MP3光盘)

Chinese 101 in Cartoons (For Shopping) + MP3

漫画汉语 101 句(购物篇)(附MP3光盘)

My First Chinese Storybooks—A Big Spider (English version)+  MP3

我的第一本中文故事书—大蜘蛛 (英语注释) (附MP3光盘)

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

Talk Chinese Series: Emergency Talk (with Mp3)

脱口说汉语:应急口语(附Mp3)

Talk Chinese Series: Office Talk (with Mp3)

脱口说汉语:职场口语(附Mp3)

My First Chinese Storybooks—That Is Wrong, That Is Wrong (Spanish version)+MP3

我的第一本中文故事书系列—不对不对 (西语注释) +MP3

Common Knowledge about Chinese Geography-Spanish edition

中国地理常识 汉西

Beginner’s Chinese + MP3

汉语初阶(附MP3光盘1张)

Graded Chinese Reader 3: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3

汉语分级阅读3(MP3)

Contemporary Chinese -- Textbook 1 (Revised)

《当代中文》(修订版)-课本1

Introductory Chinese—Reading Comprehension

普通汉语教程——阅读课本

• Like 4

Thank you again for this opportunity elina and sinolingua. I would like to be considered for the following books:

A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing (1) (Chinese-English) + MP3

汉语语言文字启蒙(一)(汉英)+MP3

简明汉语语法(汉英对照)

Pieces of China — A Reading Textbook + MP3

汉语阅读课本—中国那些事儿(附MP3光盘1张)

And if some/none of those are available, I'd be happy with any (non-spanish) leftovers  :)

Thanks!
  • Like 3

Please do this books in electronic pdf or better epub format cause i would like to buy some of them. I am unfortunately from Poland so shipment is the problem here.

And what kind of a problem do you mean exaxtly? I received my books just fine the last time :) 

Since it's not prohibited to take part in the giveaway even if you got books in the last one, I decided to try my luck again :) 

汉语快行线——练汉语(附MP3)

I'm mostly a self-learner and this one looks like it would be a good book for me to reinforce what I have already learned and learn some new vocabulary. I'm still at a stage where I don’t mind pinyin just to be on the safe side, so this book would be perfect for me. 

I am a huge "fan" of business language (I teach a lot of business English courses), so I think it would great to have a Chinese textbooks that focuses on that particular area, but is not at a very advanced level.

简明汉语语法(汉英对照)

I don't yet have any strictly grammar books in my collection and I would definitely like to. It looks like this one is for students who are not yet very advanced, so it would a good fit for me. 

Once again thank you very much to everyone who's making it possible!!

• Like 3

I'm from the Netherlands and would like the opportunity to review:

Common Knowledge about Chinese Geography-Spanish edition 中国地理常识 汉西

I love traveling and dreaming about it over a map. So geography is my thing and this book gives me the opportunity to learn Chinese, Chinese geography and Spanish. Consequently my first choice.

Introductory Chinese—Reading Comprehension 普通汉语教程——阅读课本

This book is introductory to elementary course in Scientific Chinese which I discovered through this give away and intent to order. This book looks like a good book to pave the way.

Stories behind Chinese Poems (Chinese version) 诗词趣话(中文)

I feel I should get some knowledge about (classical) Chinese literature and poems but never get to it as I think it's still too hard. This book may be a good start.

• Like 3

I would like to take part as well, for 'Stories behind Chinese Poems (Chinese version) 诗词趣话(中文)'. I'm very interested in poetry and it would be useful to me to know more classic Chinese poems and the stories behind them. I'm in the Netherlands.

Many thanks for this opportunity!

• Like 3

If I may be considered again after receiving two books in round 1, I would be interested in:

How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language

怎样教外国人学汉语

But even more than that, there was a book listed in your original post that seems to have been dropped from the list:

Teaching Plan for the Classes of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language

对外汉语教师资格考试参考用书-对外汉语教学课堂教案设计

Failing that,

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

would be useful.

I'm in the UK, and I'm currently teaching a number of beginning classes at high school and university level.

Thanks!

Edit: as a lot of other people are interested in the How to Teach book, If the Teaching Plan book isn't available, I'll put HSK Grammar as my first choice.

• Like 3

Hi,

I would like to be considered for the following books in order of preference:

Sparkling Chinese Idioms and Sayings + MP3: I find chinese idioms really interesting and you don't really find a lot of them in the standard textbooks. Would be a good way to learn in a fun way.

妙语连珠说汉语(附MP3光盘1张)

Talk Chinese Series: Office Talk (with Mp3): Looks like an accessible way to improve my chinese in a specific area not often covered by textbooks.

Practising HSK Grammar: Always useful to have a good grammar book. Will be going for HSK4 soon, so I could use some practice.

HSK语法精讲精练

I'm located in the Netherlands.

• Like 2

Hi, I would be interested in reviewing:

Learning Chinese Measure Words - I've largely avoided systematic study of measure words because I never found anything that seemed very good. Thus I'd be interested in checking this one out.

The Big Book of Spoken Chinese - My primary aim in studying Chinese is to speak it. Since I've spent two years focusing almost entirely on speaking and listening, I'd like to see what this can add to it.

A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing - I like books that focus on laying out the "why" of a topic. This book's description sounds like it tries to lay a groundwork for the reasons Chinese is structured as it is.

I have studied Chinese independently for about 2 years, and am roughly upper beginner/lower intermediate. I live in the US.  Thanks for doing this giveaway!

• Like 2

Hi Elina and Roddy. Many thanks to you and Sinolingua for this opportunity.

I'm based in the UK and I'd like to request:

I have looked at the sample first chapters of both this book and it's predecessor, Chinese Express---Talk Chinese. This book, Chinese Express---Practise Chinese, seems ideally suited to my level as I near the end of my UK Open University Beginners' Course L197 第一步, reviewed here on Chinese Forums by another student. Of the 21 new words/expressions in Chapter 1, I already knew seven words and could understand two further words from their Hanzi, which I had already studied.

I would be pleased to post an early review after starting the book and a more thorough review after I have completed the book later. I will also post my reviews on the Open University internal forums for Chinese learners.

As I try to reduce my dependency on Pinyin, I hope I don't find the Pinyin in red over the Hanzi too irritating. I may have to buy a piece of red acrylic or acetate sheet to hide the Pinyin (as students in some countries do, to temporarily conceal the answers in red on the same page in their textbooks).

I quite understand if you give other Chinese-Forums regulars higher priority. I have only been a lurker here for the past eight months. I wanted to focus on my OU studies rather than post here prematurely, when I am only just beginning a long journey in learning Chinese, though I have been learning Japanese since 1983 and that has helped. I have found tips on here on Anki and, just recently, tysond's post on WorkAudioBook extremely helpful.

Phil

• Like 3

I will only request two books:

How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language

I want this to supplement my language teaching skills I have learned/will learn from an American university.

Contemporary Chinese 1

I want this to examine an introductory textbook, to get an idea of what kind of text a major Chinese publisher produces, compared to American textbooks, and if necessary, provide suggestions for improvement, so that everybody gets better textbooks.

Edit: USA.

• Like 2

I would love any children's books!

My First Chinese Storybooks—A Big Spider (English version)+  MP3

我的第一本中文故事书—大蜘蛛 (英语注释) (附MP3光盘)

New Chinese for Children 1 + MP3

新儿童汉语1(附MP3光盘1张)

Stories behind Chinese Poems (Chinese version)

诗词趣话(中文)

Chinese 101 in Cartoons (For Shopping) + MP3

漫画汉语 101 句(购物篇)(附MP3光盘)

• Like 3

Hello! 

I was unable to participate in the first round, but I would love to review any of these books:

汉语快行线——练汉语(附MP3)

I am from the United States and have been studying Chinese for slightly over a year now. I have made my way through a few textbooks, but I am looking to further my conversational skills. I believe I need to work a lot on my oral Chinese, but I find myself a little shy in certain situations because I always say to myself, "What if they ask about X? I don't know vocabulary for that." or "If the conversation starts going towards (subject/activity), then I am screwed because my textbook didn't cover the grammar to convey that!" This "fear" has led me to start by studying certain situations to build my confidence up. All three of these books seem to follow that outline of covering a certain area of conversation. They would prove very beneficial to further my studies and I could give a detailed review of the book and how it helped me progress!

I know you said to put them in order of preference, but I believe any of the three texts would work well! However, I would prefer to only review one of the books during this round as I am currently working through other materials and I would want to devote a good portion of my time/effort into the textbook to give a fair and honest review. 

Thank you so much Elina and Roddy for the opportunity!

• Like 3

I'm from Italy and I'd like to have the chance to read and provide a useful review of these books:

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

I'm self-studying Chinese without attending a course so I spend long time searching and experimenting good resources for my study. I own a good Chinese grammar book that I use as a reference though I'd need a guide more specific about the grammar points required for HSK. I took HSK 2 and I'm willing to proceed with the higher levels. I got a good method for memorizing characters, though I'll also need to learn more grammar which is required for higher HSK levels. I think this book can be good for preparing HSK exam together with other books. I'd like to read it and provide a feedback based on my experience with this book.

Graded Chinese Reader 3: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3阅读3(MP3)

As I progress in the study of Chinese I learn a bigger amount of characters and words. SRS systems work fairly well for remembiring characters, though I believe reading could provide the same repetitive exposure to Chinese characters in a less boring and more productive way. Reading is a skill itself.  I already bought and read a graded reader book (Chinese Breeze series) containing a story and I'd like to read this collection of stories in order to enhance my reading ability.

妙语连珠说汉语(附MP3光盘1张)

There are many other interesting books in the list, though I think this is one of the books that is more worthwhile for me in the long run. As I progress in my HSK preparation I'll also have to learn 成语, especially for level 5 and 6 I guess. Besides, apart from examinations, it can be certainly useful for everyday talk. Chinese idioms and sayings have an ancient origin but they are frequently used also nowadays, so it's important to know a fair number of them in order to understand Chinese people and try to speak in a way that is closer to native level. This is also a great way of studying Chinese language and culture at the same time. Chinese idioms indeed have a strong cultural connotation.

• Like 3

Hi all,

A great selection once again, big thanks to Sinolingua!

I would like to review one of the following, if possible:

The Big Book of Spoken Chinese

汉语口语大全

妙语连珠说汉语(附MP3光盘1张)

or

I'm in the Netherlands.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Thanks for the opportunity - it is a nice promotion. For reference - I am in Beijing. Looking at the list, there are a couple of books that I would favour from the third round. Of this list I would be interested in:

Business Chinese Series—Speak Business Chinese Fluently + MP3

商贸汉语系列教材——商务口语流利说(MP3光盘)

I am working in a Chinese office so I would like to use this book and put some of the suggestions to the test. 

Learning Chinese Measure Words (Chinese-English)

看图学量词(汉英对照)

Measure words are one of the weakest parts of my Chinese so this book would be a good excuse to finally get it together and solve the problem (and also to discuss with Chinese friends who themselves sometimes use inappropriate measure words).

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

I have done some mock HSK exams (I am around level 5) but I am now starting to consider taking the test proper.

If the above aren’t available I would be happy to review:

简明汉语语法(汉英对照)

I would be happy to read through and post up reviews of these as required. 

• Like 3

But even more than that, there was a book listed in your original post that seems to have been dropped from the list:

Teaching Plan for the Classes of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language

对外汉语教师资格考试参考用书-对外汉语教学课堂教案设计

li3wei1, yes, the above book was listed in my number 3 post here:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/44629-no-more-free-chinese-books-for-now/#comment-334139

But it will be given in the third round next time, not in this second round.

Edit: as a lot of other people are interested in the How to Teach book, If the Teaching Plan book isn't available, I'll put HSK Grammar as my first choice.

Ok, got it.