Chinese-Forums

Free Chinese Books (Second Round)

elina

Elina,

Is "How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language 怎样教外国人学汉语" in Chinese only? Or does it have a side-by-side English translation?

If it's Chinese only, I'll edit out my request for that, as it will be too advanced for me to review at this point.

I took a look at the sample's on Elina's site and they're all Chinese. I browsed through one of Sinolingua's Teaching Chinese books in a local SUP bookstore once, and I seem to remember that the 2nd half of the book was an English translation. Might be a different book though, as they had a few different ones.

I'd be interested in these three books:

How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language

怎样教外国人学汉语

Graded Chinese Reader 3: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3

汉语分级阅读3(MP3)

A Concise Chinese Grammar (Chinese-English)

简明汉语语法(汉英对照)

The first because I speak in Chinese to English teachers a lot at work (they should really be speaking English, I guess, but our staffroom doesn't seem to work like that) - this book would be great for learning the lexis for teaching and education

The second because I have book 2 and think it's really helpful, especially having the stories as audio - I still listen to them regularly

The third because I love reading about grammar though rarely study it in any effective way

Thank you very much!

(I'm in China, Dalian)

[edit: added another, couldn't resist]

• Like 3

Hey there,

I would like to review;

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

Talk Chinese Series: Office Talk

http://www.studychineseculture.com/book.asp?id=4463

I am currently working toward HSK5 and i'm looking to use this to review HSK4 grammar while learning and practicing any HSK 5 grammar that is included. I would also use it as a source for example sentences. When i'm not teaching, I'm in the office and hope this talk Chinese series can help me get more familier with the language used in this setting.

I received two books during the first round so would understand if these books went to other forum users to review.

The cooking book I received has been reviewed (posted in the food section) already. I plan to add to that as I cook more dishes from it.

I live in Beijing.

Thanks a lot,

• Like 2

I'm from Germany and my Chinese is somewhere around HSK 5. In general I'm more interested in story books and colloquial languages.

And I would be really happy to receive these books:

• The Big Book of Spoken Chinese
  • My First Chinese Storybooks - A Big Spider.
  • Pieces of China - A Reading Textbook + MP3

I already have Graded Chinese Reader 3 and maybe I add something to the review of it later. For all those that don't have it yet - give it a try. The stories are written very well.

• Like 2

Is "How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language 怎样教外国人学汉语" in Chinese only?

Lechuan, yes, it’s in Chinese only, I just edited my first post to make it clearly. And li3wei1, Hofmann, MPhillips, michaelS, who also chose the book, do you want to change your mind?

Hi,

Thank you again for the opportunity !

I'm from Belgium and I would be interested in reviewing the following books :

Learning Chinese Measure Words (Chinese-English)

看图学量词(汉英对照)-> I would like to review this book because the use of the correct measure word is important.

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练 -> I would like to review this book because I want already participate in HSK test 2 and 3. Now I want to participate in HSK 4.

Introductory Chinese—Reading Comprehension

普通汉语教程——阅读课本 -> I would like to review this book because at this moment we use a different book and than I can compare the two books.

Thanks !

• Like 2

This thread is daily temptation - I have too many books already :twisted:

I am nearing HSK5 level in reading, but my grammar and speaking are lagging behind, so I would like to receive these 2 books, as I don't have similar ones yet:

Business Chinese Series—Speak Business Chinese Fluently + MP3

商贸汉语系列教材——商务口语流利说(附MP3光盘)

Practising HSK Grammar

HSK语法精讲精练

I live in France...

I am in the United States and would like the opportunity to review some more books with my Chinese study group.  The books I am most interested in are:

1. Sparkling Chinese Idioms and Sayings

2. The Big Book of Spoken Chinese

3. A Concise Chinese Grammar

I am always looking for new books to use with my group as we have a variety of levels and experience.  I enjoyed reviewing the Newabc Succeed in Learning Chinese in 30 days and  hope that you will allow me to review more books. 

• Like 1

And li3wei1, Hofmann, MPhillips, michaelS, who also chose the book, do you want to change your mind?

I already did, so my first choice is the HSK grammar book. I'm okay with an all-Chinese book on teaching Chinese, but my experience with Chinese non-fiction is that it tends to be a bit long-winded, taking pages to explain things that are really obvious, or that have been explained already. Or maybe it just seems that way because I read so slowly. I realise there's a lot of competition for the HSK grammar, as well, so I don't mind sitting out this round, if I can get the lesson plan book on round 3.

my experience with Chinese non-fiction is that it tends to be a bit long-winded, taking pages to explain things that are really obvious, or that have been explained already.

You are not alone in this observation. Everything else being equal, it takes more time and skill to explain something in a concise and easy-to-understand way. It can take many rounds of revision to go from a first draft (basically a brain dump) to a polished final draft. Not everyone is willing to invest the time and ernergy needed to do that.

Hi, I am in Canada and I have self studied for about 10 months and just completed my first Chinese conversation course.  I have 3 months before my next course begins and could easily fulfill the commitment to review.

I would like to review the following:

Beginner’s Chinese + MP3
Everyday Chinese (Chinese-English edition)+ MP3
My First Chinese Storybooks—That Is Wrong, That Is Wrong (Spanish version)+MP3  (note: I do speak Spanish)

- Steve
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for joining the second round, we’ll discuss and decide who gets which books soon. And a good news: since this book of Practising HSK Grammar is very popular, so the Sinolingua publisher will kindly give more than the limit up to 3 books to the forum members. We’ll post the result here this week.

• Like 3

After discussion, the following members get their free books:

lechuan:

A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing (1) (Chinese-English) + MP3

Pieces of China — A Reading Textbook + MP3

Ania

Chinese Express—Practise Chinese + MP3

Talk Chinese Series: Office Talk (with Mp3)

Silent:

Common Knowledge about Chinese Geography-Spanish edition

Stories behind Chinese Poems (Chinese version)

Lu

li3wei1

Practising HSK Grammar

datdere

Sparkling Chinese Idioms and Sayings + MP3

PaulSav

A Key to Chinese Speech and Writing (1) (Chinese-English) + MP3

philwhite:

Chinese Express—Practise Chinese + MP3

Hofmann:

How to Teach Chinese as a Second Language (Chinese Edition)

Contemporary Chinese -- Textbook 1 Revised

MPhillips:

miaomiao:

My First Chinese Storybooks—A Big Spider English version+  MP3

New Chinese for Children 1 + MP3

Chinese 101 in Cartoons (For Shopping) + MP3

FredricHenry:

Talk Chinese Series: Emergency Talk (with Mp3)

fabiothebest:

Practising HSK Grammar

Graded Chinese Reader 3: Selected, Abridged Chinese Contemporary Short Stories+MP3

Base7:

The Big Book of Spoken Chinese

Tianjin42:

Practising HSK Grammar

michaelS:

ChTTay:

Practising HSK Grammar

Iso:

My First Chinese Storybooks—A Big Spider English version+  MP3

Hilde-07:

Practising HSK Grammar

edelweis:

Practising HSK Grammar

taijiphoenix:

smcullen:

Everyday Chinese Chinese-English edition+ MP3

My First Chinese Storybooks—That Is Wrong, That Is Wrong Spanish version+MP3

Beginner’s Chinese + MP3

I will send Private Message to the above people, to ask your name, address, email, etc., in order to arrange to mail your books. Please check on the top right corner on this forum.

Next week, the Sinolingua publisher will send books to us, and after we receive the books, we’ll begin to mail them to the forum members. After shipping, I’ll upload everyone’s package number here.