Chinese-Forums

How to find Homestay in Hangzhou?

JorgeChau

Im looking for confiable homestay in Hangzhou near of Zhejiang University. I don't know where I can find it, so I was wondering if any of you  know a confiable and too expensive webpage or something to find it. 

Thanks guys!!

There are a few websites for foreigners like airb2b.com, wimdu.com or 9flats.com, however even though there are available apartments in Hangzhou on those websites, you should be careful too because some of the hosts may not be so polite as you expect or some could try to scam you. But I expect such problem can often appear when a foreigner tries to rent a place in other country.

Unfortunately by your post I did not understand if you just want a vacation rental or to rent an apartment while studying. If it's the latter one, I would suggest you to do that when you are already in China and you have Chinese friends because then it could be much easier and safer for you to find a cheap place to live in.

• Like 1

Thanks scooby! Im planning to study mandarin there one semester. 

Do you think Its a good idea if I first stay in Univesity dormitory for a few days until I get one apartment or homestay? Because also I was thinking in stay all semester in campus dormitory, but I dont know if its a good idea....

I get your point, sometimes I have mixed feelings about dormitories myself because renting a room or an apartment may be more comfortable in terms of living conditions. However it's definitely more easier, safer and cheaper if you decide to stay at dormitory. Dormitory is there and you can count on it. Apartment, you can't be sure who is going to be there and if there's going to be someone at all because on the internet there are scammers who just want to get your money and mysteriously disappear when you arrive in China (sorry, I guess I sound paranoid  :mrgreen: but I am talking from my experience).

Long story short, I would suggest you to stick with dorms at first, and if you don't like it, then try homestay.

• Like 1

Thanks scooby, You are right. I think I'll do that, first Im going to stay at campus and if I dont like it I'll look for an aparment.

By the way, are you in Hangzhou? or have you been there?

Unfortunately, I haven't, that is why what I said could be considered quite subjective in case of Zhejiang dormitory.

But I guess there is plenty of information on this forum about Hangzhou and Zhejiang university, so good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Hangzhou (about 20 minute bus ride straight from my house to the back gate of the uni)

I was a student there years ago, and though I never lived in the dorms, I had classmates who did. The dorms are comfortable and convenient, but you will be around foreigners. I noticed your location is Mexico, there are lots of students from Mexico and central/south America there, so you would be around people speaking your native language (assuming you are from Mexico).

The only thing is that if you want to rent an apartment, you need to sign at least a one year contract. Finding a homestay will be  hard without going through a study abroad program. 

I would say the dorms are the safest/most convenient if you have no experience in China. I would recommend living there and maybe moving out after you feel comfortable. If you are worried about being around foreign students, try to find activities and branch out (there are plenty in Hangzhou!) if you want to find language exchange partners, lots of people leave up notes in the cafes right across the street from the back gate of the school (the gate right next to the student dorms).

Good luck!

• Like 1