Chinese-Forums

meaning of finance an invoice

Kenny同志

Hello folks,

I need your help with a phrase I came across in a text I am working on. It's in a contextless short message displayed in an online banking system. For confidentiality, I have modified the message a little bit as follows: "No invoice details can be updated if the invoice has been financed. "

Does it mean to pay the amount as stated in the invoice?

In the UK at least, it can refer to a process where you hand the invoice (and the associated debt) onto a third party. The third party pays you XX% of the value of the invoice immediately, then (tries to) collect the full value of the invoice from whoever owes it. You get (less) money much faster, the third party profits by 100%-XX%. 

For example

I can't say for sure what it means in your example. It might mean paid, but seems an odd way of putting it to me. Another possibility might be that it's been sent to the finance department for payment. 

It's not that they can't be revealed, they can't be updated - presumably as it's already being processed by a different company or section of the business. 

Having read a little more - it's quite possible that online business banking has a 'finance this invoice' option, so that makes more sense. 

I don't understand why details can't be revealed if an invoice is financed.

I assume the invoice can't be updated after being paid, because by then the transaction is over. If I send an invoice, my client pays it, and only then I realise I made a typo in the amount, or put in the wrong bank number, or something, then tough luck for me because it's been paid so now it's too late.

Kenny, I hope you can let us know what the client says once you have their answer!

One more question folks.

Just to make sure about this. Does "bank admin" in "URL is not specified, please contact your bank admin to work with application support to configure XXX (slightly modified)" mean 銀行網站的管理員?

"No invoice details can be updated if the invoice has been financed. "

I would take this to mean that the person has paid via credit through a third party.  See for example here.

I think Imron was right. This is what the phrase really means.

URL is not specified, please contact your bank admin to work with application support

I would take this to mean contacting someone at the bank - either if you have a direct contact with a client manager, or perhaps through customer support.

• 11 months later...